Mealbreaker (n.): a nasty, non-edible surprise found in food while it is being eaten; often lawsuit-provoking, sometimes fabricated, always disgusting.
High school senior Derrick Holt was unnerved earlier this month when he says he found an unwelcome ingredient in his McDonald's Sausage McMuffin: a worm.
Holt spoke out on social media about the incident, which took place at a McDonald's in Buckeye, Ariz., and it soon caught the attention of the press.
— Derrick Holt (@DERx2ICK) May 13, 2013
USA Today spoke with Holt, who said that a manager confiscated the object. Still, Holt was given a full refund. Later, a McDonald's corporate employee reached out to Holt and said that the incident was under investigation and offered him some free meal tickets.
But the damage may have already been done. In the days after sampling the McMuffin -- Holt believes he accidentally swallowed half of the worm -- he has been diagnosed with gastroenteritis, a type of stomach virus. He's currently being tested for parasites and will remain out of school until his symptoms clear up. It's still unclear, though, if Holt's sickness is connected to his experience.
Holt says that whatever the outcome of McDonald's investigation, he won't be dining there anytime soon. "No desire to," Holt told USA Today.
Also on HuffPost:
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more