Huffpost Crime

Newtown Schools Put On Lockdown After Threat

Posted: Updated:
NEWTOWN SCHOOLS LOCKDOWN
Newtown, Conn. police chief Michael Kehoe testifies to a Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee at the Statehouse, in Providence, R.I., Wednesday, May 1, 2013. Kehoe encouraged Rhode Island to ban semi-automatic assault weapons Wednesday as state lawmakers reviewed several gun control ideas prompted by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. (AP Photo/Steven Senne) | AP

NEWTOWN, Conn. — Officials in Newtown, Conn., say their school system was placed on lockdown briefly after someone made a threatening phone call to a school near the site of last year's shooting massacre.

Interim schools superintendent John Reed says the threat was implied Monday afternoon in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed hasn't released details but says no one was hurt.

Hawley is less than 2 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December. Newtown has increased school security since then.

Reed says police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He says the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.

The lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.

Also on HuffPost:

Close
Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Newtown Schools Placed on Lockdown

Newtown schools placed in brief lockdown

Newtown schools briefly on lockdown after threat

Buses delayed after soft lockdown at Newtown Schools

Newtown Schools placed on 'lockdown,' lifted