ENTERTAINMENT

'Top Gun 2' Still Possible, Says Producer Jerry Bruckheimer

06/10/2013 08:42 am ET | Updated Jun 10, 2013

Jerry Bruckheimer still has a need for speed.

At the Produced By Conference at the Twentieth Century Fox studios in Los Angeles over the weekend, the famed producer said that plans for "Top Gun 2" were still on the runway, this despite earlier reports that the sequel had "fallen apart" in the wake of director Tony Scott's death.

"For 30 years we've been trying to make a sequel and we're not going to stop. We still want to do it with Tom [Cruise] and Paramount are still interested in making it," Bruckheimer said (via Deadline.com). "What Tom tells me is that no matter where he goes in the world, people refer to him as Maverick. It's something he is excited about so as long as he keeps his enthusiasm hopefully we'll get it made," Maverick, of course, was the name of Cruise's character in the 1986 blockbuster.

Before Scott died last August, the director and Cruise were reportedly scouting locations for "Top Gun 2," which Paramount hoped to release in 2014.

"I said to Tony, I want to make another movie with him. He and I haven't made a film since 'Days of Thunder,'" Cruise told MTV last year, before Scott's death. "Tony and I and Jerry, we never thought that we would do it again. Then they started to come to us with these ideas of where it is now. I thought, 'Wow, that would be ... what we could do now.'"

Cruise is currently working on "Mission: Impossible 5." Whether "Top Gun 2" becomes a reality in the future remains to be seen. For more from Bruckheimer, head to Deadline.com.

Reactions To Tony Scott's Death
Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS