The New York Times removed a story about the women involved in Anthony Weiner's sexting scandal after it was "inadvertently" posted online Tuesday.
The article, “For Women in Weiner Scandal, Indignity Lingers,” by Michael Barbaro was taken down and replaced with a production note that said it was posted "before it was ready for publication."
Politico reported that the article, according to a Google search, opened with the line, “Customers still taunt Lisa Weiss.” Weiner's sexting with Weiss and other women came to light in 2011 after he tweeted a photo of his erection to a college student.
New York Times public editor Margaret Sullivan addressed Barburo's article on Tuesday, noting that newspaper has a "strong policy" against unpublishing articles but made "occasional exceptions." She said that there had been miscommunication among editors, some of whom thought it was ready and at least one who thought that it wasn't.
"Such are the hazards of digital misdirection, as Mr. Weiner found out. It couldn’t have happened to a more appropriate story," Sullivan observed.
The newspaper declined to say whether the article would eventually appear.