It's not easy being green... or is it? Choosing eco-friendly building materials, amenities and furnishings for a house can be an investment up front, but they offer the biggest payoff -- helping to keep our planet healthy. And when it comes to some A-listers, they do what they can to reduce their home's carbon footprint. (And let's just say that some of these homes have BIG footprints.)
Whether they've installed the best in eco-conscious technologies in their mansions, live off the grid or even actively advocate for the environment, here are six celebrities that have green homes, and they're proud of 'em.
1. Gisele Bundchen and Tom Brady: At their 22,000-square-foot chateau-inspired Brentwood home that they moved into early last year, this eco-conscious duo installed solar panels -- which you can see on the roof of their sprawling manse in the photo below. In addition, they opted for energy-saving lighting and appliances. But you have to wonder: Can a house that huge ever be considered green? According to The Daily Mail, it has eight bedrooms, a six-car garage, a lagoon and a wine cellar. Wowza!
2. Lisa Ling: According to Chalkboard Mag, Ling and her architect Marco DiMaccio designed and built one of Santa Monica’s first Energy Neutral homes. We especially love this sunken outdoor lounge she installed in the backyard, shown in the photo below.
3. Daryl Hannah: This well-known environmentalist and activist is known for off-the-grid living. She put this 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom hideaway in Malibu, California on the market last year for $4.995 million. According to Realtor.com, the house is equipped with upgrades like radiant heat flooring, but we're sure living in a humble bungalow like this instead of a massive compound must be better for Mother Earth.
Photo courtesy of Realtor.com
4. Jessica Alba: Alba, the owner and creator of environmentally-friendly retailer The Honest Company opted for no-VOC paints, PVC-free vinyl chairs and even a vertical garden in her home. She's also really into repurposing vintage pieces, giving them a second (and greener) life.
5. Ed Begley Jr.: Very passionate about green building, Begley and his wife Rachelle Carson-Begley are filming a web series about their adventures constructing a a Platinum LEED home, the highest of green standards. Watch a clip of him describing "On Begley Street" below.
6. Adrian Grenier: This actor has won awards for his efforts in sustainability, but we have to say his designs have style, too. Watch the video tour below of a luxury home he designed with Rick Byrd of Byrd Development in only 14 weeks. This stunner features eco-conscious features like a saline pool, carpets crafted from recycled water bottles and organic fabrics.
Want to know about other celebs that are eco-conscious? Click through the slideshow below.
Do you have a home story idea or tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. (PR pitches sent to this address will be ignored.)