TASTE

Margaret Goodwin's Apartment Destroyed When Rhubarb Chutney Explodes In Fridge

07/09/2013 02:24 pm ET

That rhubarb chutney in Margaret Goodwin's fridge was the bomb -- literally.

Goodwin, 66, received the chutney from a friend and put it into her fridge in hopes of enjoying it later.

But the chutney fermented for hours and gave off enough methane to cause an explosion that blew the door off the fridge, temporarily lifted the ceiling and left cracks in the top of her house wall, living room and porch, according to the Irish Independent.

Goodwin was asleep in her in Henley-on-Thames, UK, when the blast happened.

"If I had been standing in the way, it would probably have killed me" Goodwin said, according to the Telegraph. "The noise was absolutely deafening, even in my bedroom, and when I went to investigate, I wasn't sure at first what had happened. We don't have gas in the building but it was obvious something out of the ordinary had happened. I was quite shaken up."

At first, Goodwin thought a gas main had exploded but fire officials who investigated the blast discovered the culprit was an uncovered ramekin of homemade rhubarb chutney that she had been given five days earlier.

As it fermented in the fridge, the chutney gave off methane gas, which can be explosive when mixed with air, the Daily Mail reported.

"You wouldn't think a little jar of rhubarb chutney could cause so much devastation," Goodwin said, according to the Daily Star.

Other recipients of the explosive rhubarb chutney have been warned to remove it from their fridges, according to the Sun.

Also on HuffPost:

Weird News: Strange, But True
Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS