MILAN — A Milan court on Friday convicted three of ex-Premier Silvio Berlusconi's former associates of procuring aspiring show girls willing to prostitute themselves during the media mogul's infamous "bunga bunga" parties. The convictions, accompanied by stiff sentences, were the latest blow to Berlusconi, whose judicial woes have proven another obstacle for Italy's fragile coalition government as it seeks to get the country's finances in order.
The court handed down severe prison terms: seven years each to Emilio Fede, a longtime executive in the mogul's TV networks, and Dario "Lele" Mora, a talent agent; and five years to Nicole Minetti, a former regional politician who professed love for the ex-premier. All are expected to appeal the verdicts.
The three were part of a circle of formerly trusted associates who attended the racy parties at Berlusconi's villa near Milan that by some accounts revolved around provocative striptease performances for the then-premier. The court concluded that the three, to varying extents, played a role in organizing the women for the parties, which came to light after prosecutors started investigating the role of a Moroccan teen at the center of Berlusconi's sex-for-hire scandal.
Berlusconi wasn't on trial in this case, but he was convicted separately last month of paying for sex with a minor, the then-17-year-old Moroccan named Karima el-Mahroug, and pressuring public officials to cover it up. Both he and the young woman, who goes by her nickname "Ruby," have denied having sex although el-Mahroug testified in the trial of the three aides that Berlusconi gave her envelopes with 2,000 to 3,000 euros ($2,500 to $4,000) cash every time she went to a party, and that she sometimes spent the night.
Berlusconi claims the parties were refined affairs, and that he was merely helping a young woman in need. He has long contended that Milan prosecutors are politically motivated against him.
In that case, Berlusconi was given a seven-year prison term and banned from politics for life. He is expected to appeal.
In Italy, prostitution among adults is legal but exploiting prostitutes is a crime. A Berlusconi-led government made it illegal to pay for sex with anyone under 18, raising it from 17.
The court found Mora guilty on all counts, which included aiding and abetting prostitution, including of a minor. It indicated it took into account his cooperation and participation in the trial in the seven-year sentence, which was the same as that of Fede, whom the court convicted of aiding and abetting adult prostitution, but not of a minor.
"It's a heavy judgment," said Mora's lawyer, Gianluca Maris.
Minetti, whom witnesses said dressed as a nun to perform stripteases at the parties, was convicted of aiding and abetting adult prostitution, but acquitted of a charge of aiding and abetting the prostitution of a minor.
Minetti's lawyer, Pasquale Pantano, said the verdict showed that it wasn't his client "who organized the evenings in Arcore," where the premier has his villa.
The conviction, he said, related to the fact she helped organize payments with Berlusconi's accountant for apartments where some of the young women lived. He called the five-year sentence "excessive."
It was Minetti who retrieved el-Mahroug from police custody in August 2010 after Berlusconi intervened when the teen was accused of stealing – calls that led to his conviction of forcing public officials to act to cover up his relationship with the woman.
Fede first met el-Mahroug when she was a 16-year-old contestant in a beauty contest in Sicily, and she later made her way to Milan hoping the connection would help her land work, she told the court during the trial. She eventually made contact with Mora while seeking jobs in nightclubs, bringing her closer to Berlusconi's inner circle. El-Mahroug has denied working as a prostitute.
The court's reconstruction of the three associates' roles won't be known until its reasoning is published sometime in the next three months. But it said Friday that it was turning over files in the case to prosecutors to investigate el-Mahroug, Berlusconi, his lawyers and a number of the women who testified in the case to see if they in any way hindered the trial or investigation.
Berlusconi's judicial woes have been weighing on Italy's uneasy cross-party government. Berlusconi's allies hobbled Parliament's work in protest earlier after Italy's highest court accelerated plans to release its ruling, now set for later this month, on Berlusconi's tax fraud conviction to avoid one charge falling to the statute of limitation.
Berlusconi was sentenced to four years in jail and a five-year ban from public office in the case, and the high court's ruling marks the final appeal.
Related on HuffPost:
On Wednesday, June 26, the third civil chamber of the Supreme Court will examine the appeal of a higher court sentence, in which Berlusconi was ordered to pay more than 560 million euros to the CIR, an Italian holding company, for the Lodo Mondadori scandal. <em>In this Oct. 6, 2005 file photo, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi touches his face during a press conference in Rome. (AP Photo/Pier Paolo Cito , File)</em>
On Thursday, June 27, the leader of the People of Freedom Party will face a preliminary hearing in Naples. On May 9 of last year, the prosecutor asked for Berlusconi’s trial on charges of corruption for having paid three million euros in cash to Sergio de Gregorio, the then-elected senator from the IDV party, in order to pass him through the ranks of the center-right. The move would make the already difficult life of the Prodi government even more precarious. In addition to Berlusconi, an indictment was also sought for De Gregorio and the former editor of the Avanti newspaper, Walter Lavitola. <em>In this file photo taken on Sept. 27, 2009, Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi gestures as he attends a meeting in Milan, Italy. (AP Photo/Alberto Pellaschiar)</em>
In March 2012, the Fourth Criminal Court of Milan found Berlusconi and his brother Paolo guilty of involvement in the release of classified information at the time of the Unipol takeover of BNL. Once the court has filed a new opinion, the former premier’s lawyers will have 45 days to lodge an appeal. On appeal, however, the crime will already be time-barred. <em>In this file photo taken on Sept. 9, 2011, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi grimaces during a People of Freedom party meeting in Rome. (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia)</em>
Civil Lawsuit for Separation from Veronica Lario
Another court date in Milan. Berlusconi can expect a judgement by the appeals court in his suit for separation from Veronica Lario. In December, the court sentenced Berlusconi to pay 3 million euros per month in alimony to his former wife. The appeals court dismissed the former prime minister's request to urgently suspend provisional enforcement of the judgment, but granted Berlusconi a small discount: He will have to calculate the amount in arrears starting from September, instead of May, 2010. <em>In this Friday, May 11, 2012 file photo, Italian former premier Silvio Berlusconi grimaces as he attends the funeral service of Italian entrepreneur Giampiero Cantoni in Milan. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, File)</em>
In May 2012, the Second Court of Appeal in Milan confirmed Berlusconi's 4-year-long prison sentence on charges of tax fraud, although three of the years have been pardoned. Berlusconi is accused of tax fraud in the sale of Mediaset TV rights. The judges also confirmed a judgment of the lower court, which had sentenced the PDL leader to a 5-year ban from holding public office. An appeal has already been filed in the Supreme Court. <em>Silvio Berlusconi speaks at a rally in Brescia, Italy, Saturday, May 11, 2013. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)</em>