Huffpost Technology

Beijing Man Shocked By iPhone While Using Knockoff Charger

Posted: Updated:
ELECTROCUTED BY IPHONE
Another person was electrocuted by their iPhone. | Getty

A Beijing man has been in a coma for the past 10 days, after being shocked while using the charger for his iPhone 4.

Want China Times reported Friday that Wu Jiantong was shocked on July 8 and helped by his sister who heard him shouting and found him shaking on the floor with purple lips, Want China Times reports. Jiantong was using a charger that was not manufactured by Apple and may have been the cause of the shock.

The news out of Beijing follows reports earlier this month of a Chinese woman, Ma Ailun, killed by an electric shock when she answered a phone call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging. Apple said that it was investigating Ailun's death.

Both Ailun and Jiantong were reportedly using phone chargers made by third-party companies, not Apple. FastCompany alleges that these knockoff chargers may be connected with the recent shocks.

It's easy to be enticed by knockoff iPhone chargers. Apple's chargers typically sell for upwards of $39 (for both the wall outlet and cable, which are sold separately), while you can get knockoff chargers for less than $3.50 elsewhere.

Clarification: Language has been updated in the article to indicate that the cost of a charger includes its components, and in the headline to reflect that Wu Jiantong did not die as a result of the electric shock.

Also on The Huffington Post

Close
iPhone 5 Battery Life Tips
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Chinese woman electrocuted by iPhone may have used an ... - Tuaw

Chinese Woman Electrocuted by iPhone 4 Likely Used ...

Chinese man allegedly electrocuted by iPhone 4 and third-party ...

 
From Our Partners