WEBSTER, N.Y. — A teenage boy convicted of setting a fire that killed his adoptive father and two brothers inside their western New York home was sentenced Wednesday to 15 years to life in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Michael Pilato didn't comment at his sentencing in Monroe County Court in Rochester, local media outlets reported.

Pilato was convicted last month of second-degree murder, attempted murder, murder by arson and arson. Police said he poured gasoline throughout his Webster home and set it ablaze early on Dec. 7, 2011, killing his 71-year-old father, Carmen, and two brothers, 16-year-old Peter and 12-year-old Josh.

Pilato's mother and 13-year-old sister were injured.

A defense lawyer argued Pilato was experiencing "extreme emotional disturbance" when he set the fire.

Pilato's mother, Elaine Pilato, supported him throughout the trial and says he didn't set the fire on purpose. She has previously said she plans to appeal his conviction.

Michael Pilato, who was 15 when he set the blaze, was one of several children Carmen Pilato adopted after his biological children were grown.

Michael Pilato described a chaotic home life, disputes with his parents over his use and sale of marijuana, and anger upon learning he'd been adopted, according to witnesses who talked to Pilato after his arrest and testified at his trial.

Webster police said they had been called to the Pilato residence several times in the year before the killings to investigate "missing-person situations," but officials didn't elaborate because the complaints involved minors.



Loading Slideshow...
  • In this courtroom sketch, Harry Burkhart, a native of Germany who has been living in Los Angeles and is suspected in a series of arson fires, is restrained by guards as he alternately tries to stand and sit during his arraignment in Los Angeles Superior Court, Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 in Los Angeles. Burkhart was charged with 37 counts of arson in connection with a rash of fires that terrorized Los Angeles over the New Year's weekend. (AP Photo/Mona Shafer Edwards)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    Los Angeles County Reserve Deputy Sheriff Shervin Lalezary (L) talks to reporters after he is introduced as the officer who arrested a serial arson suspect, at a press conference on Jan. 2, 2012 in Los Angeles, CA. Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca (2nd R) and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa (R) look on. The mayor identified Harry Burkhart, 24, as the suspect in custody whom police say was likely responsible for setting more than 50 fires over the weekend. (David McNew, Getty Images)

  • Dorothee Burkhart

    Courtroom sketch of Dorothee Burkhart.

  • Judge Upinder Kalra presides over the arraignment of Harry Burkhart, a German national suspected of starting a rash of arson fires in the Hollywood area, Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 in Los Angeles. Burkhart a German man was charged Wednesday with 37 counts of arson in connection with a rash of fires that terrorized Los Angeles over the New Year's weekend. (AP Photo/Luis Sinco, Pool)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    Los Angeles Fire Department firefighters extinguishes numerous cars on fire in a carport in the Sherman Oaks neighborhood of Los Angeles on Jan. 2, 2012. For the fifth night in a row, a spate of arson fires has sent firefighters scrambling to extinguish car fires in the Hollywood, Hollywood Hills, Studio City, and Sherman Oaks neighborhoods of Los Angeles. (Dan Steinberg, AP)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    Los Angeles Fire Department firefighters assist a man out of his apartment along with a cage of birds as multiple cars burn in a carport in the Sun Valley neighborhood of Los Angeles on Dec. 31, 2011. For the third night in a row, a rash of arson fires has sent firefighters scrambling to extinguish car fires in various neighborhoods in Los Angeles. Most of the fires on this night occurred in the San Fernando Valley. (Dan Steinberg, AP)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    A passerby inspects damaged cars following an overnight fire started by a suspected serial arsonist on Dec. 30, 2011 in Hollywood, CA. The calls for help started shortly after midnight with reports of burning vehicles in carports below apartments filled with sleeping residents in Hollywood and West Hollywood, and by sunrise, firefighters had extinguished 19 suspected arson fires. No deaths were reported but one firefighter was injured in the line of duty. (Frederic J. Brown, AFP / Getty Images)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    An apartment complex that was burned in a spree of arson fires lies in ruins on Jan. 2, 2012 in Los Angeles, CA. Police have taken a suspect into custody whom they believe was responsible for setting more than 50 fires over the weekend. (David McNew, Getty Images)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    A map displayed at a press conference shows the locations of dozens of arson fires that were set over the weekend, on Jan. 2, 2012 in Los Angeles, CA. The mayor identified Harry Burkhart, 24, as the suspect in custody whom police say was likely responsible for setting more than 50 fires over the weekend. (David McNew, Getty Images)

  • L.A. Arson Fires

    Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa speaks at a press conference after the arrest of a suspect for dozens of arson fires that were set over the weekend, on Jan. 2, 2012 in Los Angeles, CA. Harry Burkhart, 24, allegedly set more than 50 fires in Los Angles and West Hollywood. (David McNew, Getty Images)

  • In this courtroom sketch, Harry Burkhart, a native of Germany who has been living in Los Angeles and is suspected in a series of arson fires, is supported by guards as he appears to faint during his arraignment in Los Angeles Superior Court, Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 in Los Angeles. Burkhart was charged with 37 counts of arson in connection with a rash of fires that terrorized Los Angeles over the New Year's weekend. (AP Photo/Mona Shafer Edwards)

  • RE-TRANS WITH CORRECTED ASPECT RATIO - In this image taken from video released on Jan. 2, 2012 by OnScene.tv, arson suspect Harry Burkhart, 24, a German national, is arrested in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. Burkhart was pulled over by a reserve sheriff's deputy and later booked for investigation of arson of an inhabited dwelling. Since the arrest, firefighters have not responded to any other suspicious fires. Police declined to reveal any motive for more than 50 fires that have occurred since Friday in Hollywood, neighboring West Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley, causing about $3 million in damage. (AP Photo/OnScene.tv)

  • A neighbor points to the apartment where arson suspect Harry Burkhart lived with his mother in Los Angeles Tuesday, Jan 3, 2012. Authorities didn't know how long Burkhart has been in the United States and said he isn't cooperating with them. Sheriff Lee Baca called him the "most dangerous arsonist in Los Angeles County that I can recall." (AP Photo/Nick Ut)