Huffpost Travel

Miami Airport Pesticide Spill: Leaking Bottle In Luggage Hospitalizes 4 TSA Workers (VIDEO)

Posted: Updated:

MIAMI -- Four people were hospitalized after authorities say a small pesticide container spilled at the Miami International Airport.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue reports that a passenger's bag was on a loading ramp Monday afternoon when a 3-ounce bottle marked as shampoo spilled out.

The Miami Herald ( reports that four people initially complained of headaches from the smell of the pesticide. Two of them began to vomit and complained of abdominal pain. They were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital. A fifth person was treated at the airport.

A hazmat team contained the substance.

Airport officials say the bag's owner was flying through Miami from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to Baltimore, Md. Officials say the pesticide was homemade, but it wasn't clear why the passenger had it. Authorities didn't immediately release the passenger's name or possible charges.


Information from: The Miami Herald,

Around the Web

4 hospitalized after small pesticide spill at Miami International Airport ...

4 hospitalized from pesticide at Miami airport | The Times Herald ...

4 hospitalized from pesticide at Miami airport

Pesticide spill at MIA causes gate closure

Five TSA Agents Treated Because of Odor in Luggage at Miami International ...

Chemical spill at MIA causes gate closure