Joy Behar taped her final episode of "The View" on Tuesday, ending her run on the daytime program she's co-hosted since its inception 16 years ago. While she has not yet announced her next step, she told the New York Post on Tuesday that she was in talks with CNN.
Earlier this year, Behar announced that she would be leaving the show at the end of the season in August. Reports surfaced that she wanted to work on other projects, including an alleged comedy act based on her time at "The View." Soon after her announcement, co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck said that she was leaving the show to co-host Fox News' morning program, "Fox & Friends."
Behar has not yet announced plans for her post-"View" life, but did tell the New York Post's Linda Stasi that she had an upcoming meeting with CNN. Behar previously had a talk show, which was canceled in November 2011, on CNN's sister network, HLN. "Since I did the HLN [talk] show, it hasn’t been the same for me," she told Stasi. She added, "I have another meeting with CNN, so maybe something will happen by the fall. I want to put together a one-woman [Broadway] show. I’d also like to write [another] book, and I’m a pretty decent actress. Love to do a movie."
With two "View" chairs vacant, all eyes have been on who ABC selects to replace the former co-hosts. The network already named Jenny McCarthy a co-host to replace Hasselbeck. But ABC has not yet replaced Behar, the unapologetic liberal and comic who served as the counterpoint to Hasselbeck. "I really don’t care who takes my place," Behar said to Stasi.
The network has been reportedly eyeing multiple names. Most recently, sources told the Post that Hoda Kotb was being considered. ABC denied the report. Kotb's NBC contract expires in the fall.
TV Guide reported that frequent guest host Mario Cantone was rumored to replace Behar, which would make him the first male co-host of the show.