It's official: Ellen DeGeneres announced on Twitter this morning that she will host the 2014 Academy Awards. Cue the collective excitement.
There's no doubt DeGeneres will do a great job -- after all, she was nominated for an Emmy in the (now nonexistent) Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program category for hosting the Academy Awards in 2007. But beyond her general hosting expertise, there are plenty of reasons why America's favorite talk show host will actually make the Oscars fun to watch -- and we've rounded up 10 of them here.
1. After years of men hosting the show, it's great to have a gay woman take the lead.
Ellen Degeneres as Oscar host. A married gay woman is now seen as a mainstream choice. Thank you, Seth MacFarlane.
— Kim Masters (@kimmasters) August 2, 2013
2. Celebrities love her -- even Justin Bieber.
3. It's another sign the Academy is moving in the right direction, especially since the Academy just elected Cheryl Boone Isaacs, their first black and third female president.
— ShelbyKnox (@ShelbyKnox) August 2, 2013
The Academy is clearly trying to turn a page here and I am impressed at how quickly they have moved. Now hire more women directors!
— Melissa Silverstein (@melsil) August 2, 2013
4. She'll probably put Sophia Grace and Rosie on red carpet duty, which is guaranteed to be entertaining.
5. Women viewers won't cringe every time she speaks ... which is more than we can say for last year's host.
— Jessica Grose (@JessGrose) August 2, 2013
6. Wherever Ellen goes, a dance party follows. And dance numbers are gold during awards shows. (See Neil Patrick Harris' Tony Awards opening number for reference.)
7. Ellen knows how to be genuinely funny without insulting anyone.
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) August 1, 2013
8. There's always the possibility that she will try to scare celebrities as they give their acceptance speeches.
9. Portia will be there. #TrueLove
10. Plus, Ellen is basically perfect in every way.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
The reality of being a woman — by the numbers. Learn more