Huffpost Crime

James 'Whitey' Bulger Will Give Up Fight For $822,000, If The Money Goes To Alleged Victims' Families

Posted: Updated:

James "Whitey" Bulger said Friday that he would forfeit $822,000 found inside the walls of his California hideout -- under the condition that the cash be split between the families of two people he allegedly murdered.

The pair of slayings date back over three decades.

The Boston Globe explains:

Michael Donahue and [Brian] Halloran were allegedly killed by Bulger and another man in 1982. Witnesses testified that Bulger had been tipped off by a corrupt FBI agent that Halloran was cooperating with the FBI against Bulger.

Both families sued the FBI for its corrupt relationship with Bulger, but the federal courts threw out the cases on grounds they were filed beyond the statute of limitations, an argument aggressively pushed by the Justice Department.

Donahue, an innocent bystander, was driving Halloran home on the night he died.

Attorneys for Bulger revealed Friday that the 83-year-old defendant would not testify in his racketeering trial. With the jury outside the courtroom, Bulger told the judge that the decision was made "involuntarily."

"Do what yous want with me,'' Bulger added, according to ABC News.

Also on HuffPost:

Close
Who's Who In The Whitey Bulger Case
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction