CELEBRITY
09/04/2013 01:49 pm ET Updated Sep 05, 2013

Liam Payne's Apartment Catches Fire, One Direction Star's Friends Hospitalized With Burns (UPDATE)

Three of Liam Payne's friends were hospitalized after a fire broke out in the One Direction singer's apartment on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old singer was hosting a party on his balcony when an outdoor heater erupted in flames at his home in East London's Canary Wharf, according to the U.K.'s The Mirror. About 30 people fled the building after the fire erupted, but three individuals were badly injured.

"Firefighters worked quickly and professional to get the fire under control as quickly as possible. About 30 people left the building before we arrived and were not injured," the East London firehouse station manager Laurie Kenny told The Mirror. "Two of the occupants had superficial burns to their hands and the third had burns to his hands and face. All three have been taken to the hospital."

It reportedly took 35 firefighters to put the fire out, which destroyed approximately 80 percent of Payne's balcony.

A source tells Us Weekly that the explosion broke out after "one of Liam's male friends tried to change the gas canister of the heater." "It somehow went wrong and he ended up catching fire," the insider says. "The fire quickly spread all over the terrace and even into the living room of his flat."

Payne was in the apartment when the accident occurred and reportedly escorted his injured friends to the hospital.

UPDATE: Liam Payne took to Twitter to release a statement, of sorts:

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

PHOTO GALLERIES
Celebrity News & Photos
Subscribe to the Entertainment email.
Home to your favorite fan theories and the best movie recs.

CONVERSATIONS