Earlier this summer, Japanese scientists explained how listening to sad music can actually trigger positive emotions. They explained that sadness prompted by art is not the same kind of sadness that results from a tragic event. Indeed, the sadness prompted by art can actually feel quite nice. "If we suffer from unpleasant emotion evoked through daily life, sad music might be helpful to alleviate negative emotion," the scientists wrote.
Music also can have a calming effect. Certain songs can distract us while also decreasing our levels of stress hormones. But what songs are the most soothing? We asked our Huff/Post50 Facebook fans about their favorite stress-busting songs -- and we were inundated with answers.
Here are a few of the most popular responses. Some people named specific songs. Others cited their favorite artists. What do you think? What do you listen to when you want to calm down? Let us know in the comments.
1) "Nat King Cole's 'What a Wonderful World.' Ohhh, Yeah!" said Connie Small.
2) "'Sailing' by Christopher Cross. Or any tune by America," said Mayda Tapanes.
3) "I was washing dishes this morning with a movie on TV in the background... 'Murder, Inc.'... and Sarah Vaughan had a 'bit part' as a nightclub singer... her voice pierced thru the suds, stopped me in my tracks.. and made me listen... she calmed me down," said Karen Gibbs.
4) "'Twistin' The Night Away' by Sam Cooke!!!" said Chrissie Johnson.
5) "'Who am I' by Casting Crowns," said Nikkie Roush.
6) "'I Will Rejoice' by Mylon LeFevre and Broken Heart (c1985)," said J. Patrick Morgan.
7) "Sinatra. Just about anything. And John Mayer," said Sharon Greenthal.
8) "'Landslide' by Stevie Nicks!," said Bob Paff.
9) "'La Vie en Rose,' (Life Through Rosé-Colored Glasses), Edith Piaf," said Denise Auld.
10) "I like the soundtrack to Bambi, especially 'Looking for Romance' ('I Bring You a Song')," said Laura Humphrey.
11) "'Glitter' by Pink!," said Bob Paff.
12) "'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd," said Sue Macintosh.
13) "'Watermark' by Enya," said Bill Tolpy.