We recently learned that due to the real estate market downswing over the last several years, wealthy individuals have been taking advantage of unusually low prices and buying up real-life European castles to use as second homes. Because, who wants to live in a medieval relic all year long, amirite?
One thing in particular from the Wall Street Journal post on this topic stood out to us: These high-end buyers aren't looking for fixer-upper castles, they prefer ones that have been renovated. The thought of asking a castle listing agent (is that a specialty?), "is this a turnkey castle?" inspired us to come up with a list of other things we would be sure to ask our realtor before buying a "starter" castle:
1. How many people were imprisoned/beheaded here? Because stigmatized properties are impossible to resell.
2. Is the deed written in Ye Olde English? Real estate contracts may as well be in a foreign language.
Credit: David Stokes/Flickr
3. There are no visible blood stains, right? Because, well, gross.
Credit: Ben Salter/Flickr
4. Can I turn my house into a franchise of Medieval Times? You may need a permit for that.
5. Will this increase my chances of meeting Will and Kate? The neighborhood is clearly a symbol of status.
Credit: Sean MacEntee/Flickr
6. Can I convert the dungeon into a playroom? Imprisoning people is so passé.
7. Is the moat chlorinated? Or will I have to hire a guy?
8. Does this place come with its own army? It's sort of like "Entourage" moves to Scotland, right?
9. Does this turret get south-facing light? Only the important questions.
Want to see even more amazing castles from around the world? Click through the slideshow below.