A California high school pool was closed by the city after students reported symptoms including burning eyes, bleached hair and a loss of body hair.
Berkeleyside reported that parents of the Berkeley High School water polo team sent a letter to the principal expressing concern over their children’s alleged symptoms.
One parent told Berkeleyside that her son had lost all of the hair on his arms and legs and that the his eyes were continuously watering and stinging due to irritation from the pool.
During a voluntary water test, the City of Berkeley reportedly found the levels of chlorine and chloramine were ten times the recommended level, and the pH reading was above the accepted level.
The imbalance was reportedly caused by a faulty CO2 tank.
In a phone call with The Huffington Post, Berkeley Unified School District Public Information Officer Mark Coplan confirmed the report, but downplayed the situation.
“It’s a routine chemical imbalance,” he told HuffPost. “When you use ‘loss of body hair’ and ‘but we don’t want the kids taken out of the pool’ in the same sentence, that says to me that someone might just be looking at the pharmacy bottle and listing the possible side-effects.”
Coplan said the pool’s closure was only an extra precaution until the chemical balance was restored.
“We received a report from a parent and voluntarily called the city out to test the water," he said. "It’s something that if you or I went swimming once a week we’d never notice, but when someone is spending two to three hours a day in the pool, it might have an effect.”
According to Berkeleyside, the closure is the second at the pool in the past few years. Coplan noted that, “ironically,” both complaints came from the same parent.
“I stuck my hand in there,” he told HuffPost, “and when I pulled it out, all five fingers were still attached.”
Also on HuffPost:
According to astronauts, space smells like seared steak, hot metal and welding fumes.
The Wonders Of The Human Body
25,000,000 of your cells died while you read this sentence. It’s okay though, your body made more than 300 billion new ones today.
Hop To It
A kangaroo can't jump unless its tail is touching the ground.
A snail can sleep for 3 years.
All the stars, galaxies, and black holes in the universe only comprise about 5% of the mass of the universe. As crazy as it sounds, the other 95% is unaccounted for. Scientists decided to label this mystery material “dark matter” and to this day they are still not sure where or what it is.
We Contain Multitudes
There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body. That's enought to wrap around the world 2 1/2 times.
A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
We Are Machines
Your body has enough iron in it to make a nail 3 inches long.
Every second, Americans collectively eat one hundred pounds of chocolate.
There's A Name For This
Obsessive nose picking is referred to as rhinotillexomania.
Come On, Squirrels
Squirrels forget where about 50% of the nuts they’ve hidden are.
An Unholy Crime
The Bible is the number one most-shoplifted book of all time.
Calm Down, Stomach
Without its lining of mucus your stomach would digest itself.
The Truth Is Out There
Current estimates suggest that there are up to 400 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy and up to 50 billion planets. Ife even 1% of those are in their systems Goldilocks zone, then there are 500 million planets in our galaxy alone capable of supporting life.
We Have The Power
When awake, the human brain produces enough electricity to power a small lightbulb.
Some animals have the ability to freeze solid during winter, thaw in the spring and remain perfectly healthy.
You could remove a large part of your internal organs and survive. The human body may appear fragile but it’s possible to survive even with the removal of the stomach, the spleen, 75 percent of the liver, 80 percent of the intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from the pelvic and groin area.
There are at least 10 billion trillion stars in the universe.
Taking Care Of Each Other
During pregnancy if the mother suffers organ damage, the baby in the womb sends stem cells to repair the damaged organ.