An unidentified man who claims to have survived a 2012 shooting in downtown Boston that left two dead has told FOX 25 that former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was the gunman. The alleged witness, who was granted anonymity over fears for his safety, claimed that he recognized the NFL star after his arrest in connection with the murder of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd in June 2013.
“When I see his face, I just recognize his face. Compare his face that night to his face now. It’s that face that I remember,” the unnamed man told FOX 25 reporter Mike Beaudet.
WATCH FOX 25 INTERVIEW ABOVE
On July 15, 2012, Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and Safiro Furtado were fatally shot in downtown Boston. The man who spoke with FOX 25 claims to have been in the car with the victims.
“Things happened so fast. I was trying to defend myself,” the alleged witness said. “They were shooting everywhere inside the car, front to back. They just came to kill. That’s it.”
At the time of the double homicide, witnesses told police that a grey SUV with Rhode Island plates fired on the victims' vehicle, according to The Associated Press. A vehicle matching that description was towed from Hernandez's uncle's house in June 2013, reports CBS Boston.
"They just came up and started firing for no reason at all," the man claiming to have survived the incident said.
Unnamed investigators who spoke with The Boston Globe shortly after Hernandez was charged with murder in Lloyd's death believed the star athlete was with a group involved in a fight with the two victims at a nightclub before the 2012 shooting. Surveillance video showing Hernandez at the same nightclub as the two men who were killed in the drive-by shooting has been obtained by authorities, as first reported by Jenny Wilson of the Hartford Courant in September 2013.
No charges had been filed against Hernandez in this case at the time of the FOX 25 report.