When it comes to language, clichés are almost never a good idea. Not only do they indicate laziness, but they are rarely used correctly. Even worse, many clichés make you sound, well, OLD! As in ancient.
We asked our Facebook fans what clichés they think make people sound old, and we were inundated with responses. A few people cited "hot diggity." Others noted "whoopsie daisy." We could go on and on until we were blue in the face, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. But there's a time and a place for everything.
So before you get your knickers in a twist, here are the worst of the worst. Have anything to add? Let us know in comments.
1) "More troubles that Carter has pills," said Leora Darrah-Jarnagin.
2) "Said to kids after the umpteenth reminder of something -- 'I'm tired of being a broken record.' We knew a broken record was a bad thing. But to kids today, a broken record is great. It means you've done better than everyone else!" said Sheri Snyder.
3) "Love is blind but the neighbors aren't," said Ginger Lyons Thomas.
4) "'I'm on Cloud 9.' When I said that to my son's teenage friends, they all gave me a blank stare. I had to explain what it meant!" said Linda Brodsky Abbit.
5) "She must be pushing up daisies," said Jeff Johnson.
6) "'When you got your health, you got everything.' I think we finally understand what that means!" said Marcy Hallerman.
7) "The cat's pajamas," said Robin Chilcutt Johnson.
8) "It's the bee's knees," said Patricia G. Gorg.
9) "She was so small, she didn't weigh any more than a pound of butter," said Holli Allen Magill.
10) "Till the cows come home," said Troy Spainhower.
11) "Would Macy's tell Gimbels?" said John Pierse.
12) "Don't take any wooden nickels," said Mike Meagher.
13) "Don't get your panties in a twist," said Sally Taylor.
14) "'Happy as a clam,' though to be honest, I don't really know what that means," said Donna Wies.
15) "'It's Greek to me.' My 17-year-old who is taking Greek still doesn't get it," said Patti Eischen.
16) "It's not worth a plugged nickel," said Jeff Johnson.
17) "You got it, Pontiac!" said Heather Holmes.
18) "'Someone's gonna drop dime on that one.' (Had to explain this one to my kids.)" said Mayda Tapanes.
19) "Do as I say, not as I do," said Cynthia Henry.
20) "See ya later alligator," said Robert Lynn Sr.
21) "They got along at the party like a house on fire," said Sally Barry.
EARLIER ON HUFFPOST50:
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more