A 12-year-old in Pennsylvania says he found a rusty razor blade in a pack of M&M's that he received while trick-or-treating earlier this week.
“I don’t know which house I got it from, because every other house I think I got a pack of M&M’s,” Matthew Hernley told KDKA-TV.
His mother is furious.
“I have a set of 6-year-old twins and a 5-year-old and I’ve seen them open packages of M&Ms or Skittles and they just dump it right in their mouth,” Lydia Nelson, Hernley's mom, told CBS Pittsburgh.
Scottdale, Pa., police are investigating, but an officer postulated that it was a "manufacturing issue," since the package of candy did not appear to have been tampered with, according to ABC News.
“Food safety and product quality are of paramount importance to Mars. We were very disturbed to learn that a consumer had a product safety issue within our M&M’s Funsize packaging,” a spokesman for Mars Chocolate North America told ABC News in a statement.
Although the "blade-in-the-pack-of-candy" scenario has achieved the status of urban legend in the United States, it has been known to actually happen on occasion.
In July 2012, a California mother found a shank knife in a package of Jolly Ranchers that was manufactured in Brazil.