WASHINGTON -- Years before Gus Deeds failed to get the psychiatric help he needed, stabbed his father, Virginia state Sen. Creigh Deeds, and fatally shot himself, the state of Virginia knew it had a problem providing services to individuals in crisis. State officials had been warned by a panel charged with investigating the April 2007 shooting massacre at Virginia Tech.

In August 2007, the panel issued its findings, which highlighted the state's problem dealing with mental health crises. Under the heading "Summary of Key Findings," it wrote that the state's mental health laws were "flawed" and that "services for mental health users are inadequate." The report went on to say that the state's "lack of sufficient resources results in gaps in the mental health system including short term crisis stabilization and comprehensive outpatient services."

Lack of adequate crisis stabilization appears to have played a critical role in Gus Deeds' final hours. On Monday, an emergency custody order sent him to Bath Community Hospital for an evaluation. The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that an official with the Rockbridge County Community Services Board could not find the younger Deeds a suitable psychiatric facility. He was then released.

Bath Community Hospital stated in a press release Wednesday -- the day after Deeds had killed himself -- that it "is not equipped to provide inpatient mental health services."

But as The Huffington Post reported Tuesday night, there were crisis beds available only two hours away from Bath Community Hospital.

In 2012, Virginia's Office of the Inspector General for Behavioral Health Developmental Services questioned the reliability of the state's crisis services. The inspector general's report noted that 72 out of roughly 5,000 temporary detention orders -- issued after a mental health professional determines that a person poses a threat of serious harm to himself or others -- were not enforced during a three-month period.

In the one instance in which Seung-Hui Cho, the future Virginia Tech shooter, had been given a TDO, the panel found that mental health officials did not have a problem finding him a bed. But it found flaws in the system that prevented him from receiving more than a cursory hospital stay.

In December 2005, after a number of disturbing incidents and talk about suicide from Cho, police took him to be assessed by a social worker with the New River Valley Community Services Board. The social worker recommended committing Cho, the panel reported.

The social worker was able to find a psychiatric bed for Cho at a hospital nearby. A magistrate issued a TDO and police transferred Cho to the facility. The following day he was evaluated again, but, as the panel noted, the psychologist did not have any of Cho's hospital records. The evaluation lasted just 15 minutes. The conclusion: Cho was mentally ill but did not require hospitalization.

The facility housing Cho suggested he be treated with outpatient counseling. At a subsequent hearing, a special justice quickly signed off on the diagnosis. Cho had been hospitalized for about 15 hours, and for much of that time he was asleep.

The Virginia Tech panel recommended that the state evaluate whether it was adequately providing outpatient services as well as adequately responding to court orders. While screening someone like Cho in a timely manner can be difficult, especially in more remote areas, the panel's research showed that "it is often even more difficult to locate the available bed required for a temporary detention order."

Also on HuffPost:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Swat team members secure the scene near Sparks Middle School in Sparks, Nev., after a shooting there on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013. Authorities are reporting that two people were killed and two wounded at the Nevada middle school. (AP Photo/Kevin Clifford)

  • Sandy Hook Elementary

    Molly Delaney, left, holds her 11-year-old daughter, Milly Delaney, during a service in honor of the victims who died a day earlier when a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., as people gathered at St. John's Episcopal Church , Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012, in the Sandy Hook village of Newtown, Conn. The massacre of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary school elicited horror and soul-searching around the world even as it raised more basic questions about why the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, would have been driven to such a crime and how he chose his victims.

  • Police secure the scene near Sparks Middle School after a shooting in Sparks, Nev., on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013. Authorities are reporting that two people were killed and two wounded at the Nevada middle school. (AP Photo/Kevin Clifford)

  • Clackamas Town Center

    A security guard looks over the food court at the Clackamas Town Center mall as it opens, on Friday, Dec 14, 2012 in Portland, Ore. The mall is reopening, three days after a gunman killed two people and wounded a third amid a holiday shopping crowd estimated at 10,000. The shooter, Jacob Tyler Roberts, killed himself after the attack Tuesday afternoon.

  • St. Vincent's Hospital Shooting

    Birmingham police arrive at the scene of a shooting at St. Vincent's Hospital on Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012 in Birmingham, Ala. Authorities in Alabama say a man opened fire the hospital, wounding an officer and two employees before he was fatally shot by police. Birmingham Police Sgt. Johnny Williams says the officer and employees suffered injuries that are not considered life-threatening.

  • Sikh Temple Shooting

    Mourners attend the funeral and memorial service for the six victims of the Sikh temple of Wisconsin mass shooting in Oak Creek, Wis., Friday, Aug 10, 2012. The public service was held in the Oak Creek High School. Three other people were wounded in the shooting last Sunday at the temple. Wade Michael Page, 40, killed five men and one woman, and injured two other men. Authorities say Page then ambushed the first police officer who responded, shooting him nine times and leaving him in critical condition. A second officer then shot Page in the stomach, and Page took his own life with a shot to the head. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps)

  • July 2012: Aurora, Colorado

    A policeman stands outside a Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colo., where a heavily armed man opened fire, killing at least 12 people and injuring 50 others.

  • May 2012: Seattle, Wash.

    Friends, family and employees react after a shooting at Cafe Racer in Seattle on May 30, 2012. A lone gunman killed four people Wednesday -- three were shot to death at a cafe, and a fourth in a carjacking. The gunman later killed himself.

  • April 2012: Oakland, California

    Alameda County Community Food Bank workers move a memorial from a parking spot next to Oikos University in Oakland, Calif., Monday, April 23, 2012. Some students and staff members have arrived to resume class at Oikus University, the small California Christian college where seven people were shot to death earlier in April.

  • November 2009: Fort Hood, Texas

    Panou Xiong, center, is comforted by family and friends following a Remembrance Ceremony commemorating the one-year anniversary of the worst mass shooting on a U.S. military base, where 13 people were killed and dozens wounded,, Nov. 5, 2010 in Fort Hood, Texas. Xiong's son, Pfc. Kham Xiong, was killed in the shooting. <em><strong>CORRECTION:</strong> This slide originally said that the Fort Hood shooting took place in November 2010. The shooting took place in November 2009.</em>

  • March 2009: Kinston, Alabama

    The charred Kinston, Ala. living room where suspected gunman Michael McLendon allegedly killed his mother Lisa McLendon, is photographed Wednesday, March 11, 2009. Authorities were working Wednesday to learn why a gunman set off on a rampage, killing 10 people across two rural Alabama counties.

  • August 2007: Blacksburg, Va.

    An unidentified family member of slain Virginia Tech student Daniel Alejandro Prez Cueva, pauses at his memorial stone after the dedication of the memorial for the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting in Blacksburg, Va., Sunday, Aug. 19, 2007. More than 10,000 people gathered on the main campus lawn as Virginia Tech dedicated 32 memorial stones for those killed by a student in a mass shooting on campus last April.

  • April 1999: Littleton, Colo.

    This aerial shows the news media compound near Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., April 21, 1999. Media from around the world poured into the area after 15 people were killed during a shooting spree inside the school.