One year ago today, tragedy struck Sandy Hook Elementary School and the residents of Newtown, Conn., resulting in an unimaginable loss. To mark the anniversary of the mass shooting, relatives of the Sandy Hook victims ask that people perform random acts of kindness throughout the day.
Whether it's a monetary donation, extending a helping hand to someone in need or even just a small smile, a little bit of generosity can make a world of difference. Not sure how to get started? Check out our list below of 25 random acts of kindness you can perform today.
1. Pay for someone eating alone at a restaurant and leave before they realize you did it.
2. Donate blood or make an appointment to donate blood. The American Red Cross has blood drives all across the country.
3. Donate some of your used books to a local library or school library.
4. Let someone go in front of you in line (bonus points if it's a long line!).
5. Donate old blankets, towels and sheets to your local animal shelter.
6. Pay the vehicle toll of someone behind you.
7. Pick up trash and dispose of it in the proper place.
8. Wash your roommate's dirty dishes.
9. When your cashier asks you if you'd like to donate just $1 to a certain charity, say yes (most donations can even be put right on your credit card).
10. Hold a door open for someone.
11. Offer to babysit for a neighbor or friend who is a single parent.
12. Walk dogs at your local animal shelter or animal rescue facility.
13. When you are in the parking lot and a space opens up, let another person have it.
14. Compliment a person on their attire.
15. Double your normal coffee shop tip.
16. Sign up to mentor a student in your field of expertise.
17. Offer to volunteer at a local school.
18. If you live in an area with public transportation, help someone with a stroller or large suitcase go down the stairs.
19. If you've made plans with a friend, treat him or her to whatever you're doing.
20. Buy a round of drinks for the waitstaff if you go out to eat.
21. Pick up a Santa letter and get a deserving child his or her dream present.
22. Give up your seat to someone on public transportation.
23. Write a thank you note to a loved one -- not in response to a gift, but because you appreciate them.
24. Share a positive message with a stranger, whether it's a compliment on their hat or an anonymous note on the bathroom mirror.
Got an act of kindness you'd like to share? Tell us in the comments below.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
We’re basically your best friend… with better taste. Learn more