In the past few weeks, there has been a lot of debate on what should and shouldn't be worn on a first date. Flip-flops, tracksuits and turtlenecks have been thrown around as items you should absolutely never wear.
But when first dates are set up via Tinder, OkCupid and drunken Saturday night conversations in bars, all fashion rules for what is and isn't appropriate go out the window, right? Well, sort of.
While we totally encourage you to wear your favorite pair of sneakers and your most beloved pair of jeans, there are seven things that should never be worn on a first date... under any circumstance.
1. Red lipstick. Or any lipstick, really. (You want a first kiss, don't you?)
2. Something brand new. Yes, you just got it and want to wear it, but you definitely haven't ironed out all the quirks that come along with a new wardrobe addition. Maybe your new skirt rides up when you walk, or perhaps your new shoes give you blisters. Maybe your new top requires double-sided tape so everything stays in place. All of these problems aren't ones you want to face while you're trying to impress someone new.
3. A padded bra. Come on, this is just false advertising.
4. Birkenstocks. If you're allowed to wear them, it's practically giving him the go-ahead to wear them, too. And guys in Birks is never okay.
5. A turban or head scarf (not for religious reasons). It requires way too much readjusting and will most likely invite the question, "Do you have a headache or something?"
6. Anything out of the ordinary. If you're a gal who normally wears lip balm and mascara, a full face of makeup on the first date is misleading. If date one leads to date two and three, you're not going to want to keep up the charade.
7. A band T-shirt of a band you don't listen to. This is actually something you should never wear. It will most likely result in some pretty awkward conversation.
These are the things he should never wear: