Lupita Nyong'o is Hollywood's new breakout star. The actress, who rose to fame with her role in "12 Years a Slave" is the latest awards show superstar, making headlines for both her nominations and her red-carpet sartorial choices. If this season is any indication, Nyong'o will be around for a long time, so brief yourself now with 10 things to know about the rising star.
- She is nominated for an Oscar for her breakout performance in Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave." Nyong'o is up for Best Supporting Actress for her part as Patsey.
- "12 Years a Slave" is her first feature film credit. She previously appeared in a short called "East River" and played Ayira in the TV mini-series "Shuga."
- She is the new darling of the fashion world. An early favorite among the fashion set, Nyong'o became one of the most-talked about style stars at the Golden Globes, turning heads in a Ralph Lauren gown.
- She already has her next role booked and shot. Nyong'o will appear in the upcoming action film "Non-Stop," also starring Liam Neeson, Julianne Moore and Michelle Dockery.
- You can find her on the newsstand, covering national magazines. Nyong'o is featured on the covers of the February issues of W Magazine and Dazed and Confused.
- She has called a lot of places home. The 30-year-old actress was born in Mexico City, grew up in Kenya, and now lives in Brooklyn.
- She's a Yale grad. Nyong'o graduated from Yale's School of Drama in 2012, going on to film her celebrated role in "12 Years a Slave."
- She's still adjusting to her notoriety. Nyong'o told HuffPost last fall, "I'm still trying to get over the fact that my name is being mentioned with freakin' Brad Pitt! It's a lot. My name is coming up alongside people that I have grown up watching and who I respect so deeply. That is incredible and unbelievable."
- She is a Hollywood fan in her own right. The recent star made a point of finding the celebrities whom she admires at the Golden Globe Awards. Her "checklist" included Leonardo DiCaprio, Jessica Chastain, and Lena Dunham.
- She stars alongside Elle Fanning, Elizabeth Olsen, and Bella Heathcote as the new face of Miu Miu. Nyong'o rocks the designer label in the spring ad campaign.
Also on HuffPost:
More:Lupita Nyong'o 12 Years A Slave Lupita Nyong'o Oscars Lupita Nyong'o Lupita Nyong'o Oscars Who Is Lupita Nyong'o
HuffPost Entertainment is your one-stop shop for celebrity news, hilarious late-night bits, industry and awards coverage and more — sent right to your inbox six days a week. Learn more