There is a reason we are always in awe of couples that have been wed 10 years or more. Anyone who is married knows how hard it is to stay that way. After all, the divorce rate in this country is out of control. So everyone is desperate to know, what is the secret to a successful marriage? The answers that usually pop up include honesty, communication, having a happy attitude and showing affection. All important things, to be sure. But there are a few relationship-saving tricks missing from that list. Check out the three things you need for a truly happy, long-lasting union.
1. Get tipsy together. It may sound counter-intuitive, but scientists now say getting tipsy together could be the glue to keeping your marriage intact. According to a new study, couples who enjoy getting drunk together have a better chance of surviving. Though, it should be noted, they have to be on the same page when it comes to how much and how often. Someone who likes getting toasted every night paired with the once-a-week boozer are doomed. So overall compatibility still comes into play: it's just a good sign if you have the same drinking habits.
2. Sexual evolution. Decades in the missionary position just won't do. Sure, you may not have had to do much to keep the heat in the beginning, but as your relationship grows and changes, so must the sex. That's not to say you have to go full-on "Fifty Shades of Grey" (though here's a guide on how to turn vanilla sex into a BDSM dream if that is your thing). But you have to break out of the mold to keep things interesting for the both of you.
3. Hire a cleaning lady. Most wives' biggest complaint: how little their husbands do around the house. It's a problem that often starts way before kids come into the picture. It's as though in their minds, getting married meant no more chores, even if they used to clean when they were single. A cleaning lady can save you from a lot of resentment. If you can swing the service once a week, that's awesome, but even having someone come in once or twice a month will be a big help.
What are other things that can keep a marriage happy?More from The Stir:
- 10 Things to Say if You Want to Ruin Your Marriage
- World's Longest Married Couple Has the Secret to Lasting Love
- 15 Things a Woman Never Wants to Hear Her Man Say
- 35 Brutally Honest Reasons Men Say No to Sex
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Marriage Right Now