Huffpost Crime

State Department 'Deeply Disappointed' In North Korea

Posted: Updated:
JEN PSAKI
US State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki delivers remarks and responds to questions from the media January 7, 2014, in the briefing room at the Department of State in Washington, DC. (PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images) | PAUL J. RICHARDS via Getty Images

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department says it is "deeply disappointed" in North Korea's decision to withdraw for a second time an invitation to a U.S. envoy to discuss the release of a jailed American businessman.

Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki on Sunday called for Kenneth Bae's immediate release and said the US would continue to work actively toward that end.

The decision apparently came in protest of upcoming regularly scheduled joint military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea, which Psaki said are not linked to Bae's case.

Bae was quoted Friday in a pro-Pyongyang newspaper in Japan as saying he had been notified that the U.S. envoy on North Korean human rights issues would come to meet him as early as Monday and no later than the end of the month.

Also on HuffPost:

Close
Obama's Handshakes Around The World
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

State Dept. expert on North Korea to plead guilty in leak case

US Prisoner in North Korea Gets Consular Visit

North Korea rescinds invitation for US official to discuss Kenneth Bae's release

US State Department says American held in North Korea, Kenneth Bae, moved ...

North Korea and the United States: Diplomacy at an Impasse

Kenneth Bae Sent Back To Labor Camp In North Korea From Hospital As ...