Huffpost Green

Anton, Polar Bear At German Zoo, Dead After Eating Jacket

Posted: Updated:
ANTON POLAR BEAR
The polar bear Anton walks in an enclosure at the Wilhelma zoo in Stuttgart, Germany, in this 2008 photo. The zoo says the bear has died after apparently swallowing a jacket or bag dropped into his enclosure by a visitor. (AP Photo/dpa, Bernd Weißbrod,file) | ASSOCIATED PRESS

BERLIN (AP) — A German zoo says one of its polar bears has died after apparently swallowing a jacket or bag dropped into his enclosure by a visitor.

The Wilhelma zoo in Stuttgart said Tuesday that zookeepers realized something was wrong with 25-year-old Anton when he started vomiting pieces of fabric. The bear died early Monday of severe intestinal injuries.

The zoo says it's not clear why Anton ate the object rather than tearing it apart, as he usually did with things that landed in his enclosure. His keepers suspect there was something tasty inside that the bear couldn't resist.

The zoo appealed to visitors to report the loss of large objects — allowing zookeepers to remove them quickly. It says it previously lost an elephant seal that swallowed a toy animal.

Related on HuffPost:

Explore.org Polar Bear Photos
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

German zoo's polar bear swallows jacket, dies - Yahoo News

Polar bear dies after eating object - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Polar bear dies after making meal of visitor's coat at German zoo ...

German zoo's polar bear eats jacket, dies | Townsville Bulletin

Related: In a bad week for zoo animals, German polar bear died ...

German zoo's polar bear swallows jacket, dies - KSWO, Lawton, OK ...

German zoo's polar bear swallows jacket, dies - The Washington Post

Polar bear dies after eating object

 
From Our Partners