That doesn't mean shedding pounds is impossible: As participants in our I Lost Weight series constantly remind us, a nutritious diet, physical activity, sound sleep and other lifestyle tweaks can result in big changes.
Along the way, many weight-loss journeyers learn valuable lessons they may not have known otherwise. We asked our Facebook fans and Twitter followers who are trying to shed a few pounds to chime in with some of those truths. Here are a few of our favorites.
If you're in the midst of a weight-loss journey, you know...
1. That we are being careful with what we choose to eat and don't want to be pressured to go off the wagon. --Maureen Lyons-Brennan
2. Trying to resist candy and food at the office. Such a challenge. --Stephanie Weingart
3. It's as much an emotional battle as a physical one. --Brandy Bender
4. Every choice, big or small, with regards to food and lifestyle is magnified. --C Kelly Skoczdopole
5. The crankiness!! LOL --A Yoga Movement
6. That not everyone's body is the same and it may take longer for you to see results. --Cari Olea
7. Temptation to smells and other people eating food we need to avoid. --Bobbin Bergstrom