If you ask an American if the sun orbits Earth, there's a 1 in 4 chance he'll say yes.
According to a new National Science Foundation study, 74% of Americans believe that Earth revolves around the sun. The other 26% believe that the opposite is true.
Of course, it's a fact that the Earth orbits the sun. The modern heliocentric model of the universe was first presented by Nicolaus Copernicus, a 16th century Polish astronomer. The study took place in 2012.
The survey revealed other distressing facts about science in America. For example, only 48% of Americans believe in evolution.
As NPR pointed out, European and Asian countries fared much better on the evolution question.
According to RT, a similar survey is taken every two years. The findings will be formally presented to Congress and President Obama.
CLARIFICATION: The article has been updated to specify that European and Asian countries fared better specifically on the survey's evolution question.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
The truth is stranger than fiction. Step into the world of weird news. Learn more