The best vacations, one might say, are vacations planned around food.
And whether they were first nibbled during a white-sand getaway or on a backpacking trek through Europe, some foods (and drinks!) will forevermore trigger glorious, blissful, carb-filled vacation memories with just a single taste.
Here are some of our favorites.
1. Piña coladas
2. Chips and salsa
3. A massive bowl of handmade pasta
4. Fresh baguettes with butter
5. A club sandwich The classic poolside lunch order.
6. Hot waffles piled with toppings
7. Croissants No, not the ones from the airport Starbucks case. We want the Parisian kind, people.
8. Hand-held crepes oozing with Nutella Bonus points if you watched the guy flip them on the street.
9. Room-service pancakes
10. Macarons in a pretty box
11. Fish tacos
12. A tiny, perfect cappuccino They're always smaller abroad.
13. Hot dogs from a cart
14. Coronas with lime Sunset optional.
15. Doner kebab Any study abroad student will agree.
16. Whole coconuts Just like a human, it's not what's on the outside that matters. It's the milk within that counts.
18. Caviar The quintessential vacation indulgence.
19. A perfect little chocolate Tuck it on your bed to pretend you just had hotel turndown service.
21. Funnel cake It's a theme park staple. And when besides vacation would you EVER agree to consume a tangled puddle of grease-dunked dough?
22. All-you-can eat buffets of questionable quality They just scream "all-inclusive Caribbean resort" and the end of bikini diet season.
23. Roast nuts from a street vendor
24. Fried plantains For the last time, they're NOT the same as bananas. And if you've ever vacationed in Central America, you know that full well.