He's just an ordinary guy, burning down the house.
Fire officials said a West Seattle man on a quixotic quest to rid his home of a vile spider ended up torching his abode on Tuesday evening.
The man told firefighters that he saw a spider in his laundry room and decided the best way to take care of it was with a lighter and a can of spray paint. He set his wall on fire, then the blaze quickly spread.
The building, which is a rental home, will cost roughly $40,000 to repair... It will cost another $20,000 to repair or replace the contents of the home.
The Red Cross is finding temporary housing for the man and a woman who lived with him.
This isn't the first incident involving spiders, open flames and incredibly poor judgment. Back in June, a Kansas woman set fire to her house in pursuit of a wily arachnid.
She told authorities that she used a lighter to ignite some towels in the hopes of killing a spider.
In 2012, a California man set fire to his home while attempting to clear cobwebs with a blowtorch.
The truth is stranger than fiction. Step into the world of weird news. Learn more