Huffpost Technology

Teen's Smartphone Catches Fire Under Pillow As She Sleeps

Posted: Updated:

A 13-year-old Texas girl recently woke up to a nightmare. Her cell phone had ignited under her pillow, and the fire melted the handset and burned the pillow, bedsheet and mattress.

Ariel Tolfree told Fox 4 in Dallas-Forth Worth that her Samsung Galaxy S4 slipped under her pillow as she fell asleep, and she was roused by the smoldering smell.

Her father, Thomas Tolfree, suspected the fire started with the battery. In its defense, Samsung told the station that the battery was a replacement and not a Samsung, and that the company's user guide warns consumers that if their units are covered by bedding or other material, choked-off airflow could cause a fire. The company has offered to pay for the bedding, mattress and a new cell phone.

The Huffington Post has reached out to Samsung for further comment.

In February an eighth-grader in Maine also learned the hard way that smartphones can be combustible -- and she was wide awake. A unit reportedly caught fire in her pocket during school, and she suffered "moderate burns."

h/t Elite Daily

Around the Web

Samsung Galaxy S4 wakes Texas girl smoldering under her pillow ...

Galaxy S4 catches fire under teenage girl's pillow- The Inquirer

Samsung phone burns up under Texas girl's pillow - New York's ...

Samsung Galaxy Smartphone Sets Teen Girl's Bed on Fire After ...

Samsung Galaxy S4 catches fire under the pillow of a 13 year-old girl

Teenage Girl's Galaxy S4 Catches Fire Under Her Pillow - Ubergizmo

Texas Girl Finds Smartphone Smoldering Under Her Pillow (Video)

On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire - Dallas News | myFOXdfw ...

Girl's Smartphone Bursts Into Flames After It's Teenage Owner ...

 
From Our Partners