CRIME

Man Who Walked 21 Miles To Work And Back Now Fears For His Safety

02/18/2015 12:48 pm ET | Updated Feb 18, 2015
Detroit Free Press

A Michigan man, whose story of perseverance inspired a massive outpouring of financial support, said he now fears that money has made him a target for violence.

Detroit Police told the Detroit Free Press they helped James Robertson, 56, move to an undisclosed location, after he told them he didn't feel safe. Robertson's story about how he walked 21 miles to and from work everyday inspired donations of $350,000 and a new car.

"We had a meeting with him (and) he expressed interest that he did not feel safe," Detroit police Capt. Aric Tosqui said.

Police said Robertson has been asked for money since his windfall. His decision to seek a safer location was motivated in part by news last week that an 86-year-old Detroit man was murdered shortly after he apparently won $20,000 in the lottery, according to the Free Press.

As for what Robertson plans to do with the money, the injection molder at Schain Mold & Engineering said he doesn't know yet.

“I’m going to figure that out when the time comes,” Robertson told CBS Detroit. “I really have been so shocked at this whole thing,” Robertson told WWJ’s Charlie Langton. “Really, if anybody would have told me that this was going to blow up like this, I’d say you were crazy.”

Also on HuffPost:

Detroiters Share Their Photos Of The City
Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS