CRIME

Bodies Recovered At Scene Of New York City Building Explosion

03/29/2015 02:44 pm ET | Updated Mar 30, 2015

Rescue workers on Sunday recovered two bodies at the site of a massive New York City building explosion, the New York Post reported. The New York Police Department confirmed the news to ABC and the New York Times.

According to the New York Daily News, relatives identified Nicholas Figueroa as one of the victims. Figueroa had been missing since the blast along with Moises Lucon. Authorities haven't confirmed the identities of either of the deceased.

According to the Post, the first body was found around 1 p.m. A second body was found around 4 p.m., MSNBC reported.

Twenty-two people were injured after the explosion at 121 Second Avenue in the East Village. Officials said that the blast was likely caused by a gas leak related to building work. The building had a history of code violations and less than a year ago, Con Edison discovered that gas line had been tampered with.

Two other neighboring buildings also collapsed after fire from the blast spread. Sushi Park, where Lucon worked and Figueroa had been dining, was destroyed as well as beloved East Village snack shop Pommes Frites.

Rescue workers will continue to search the area, but authorities said that it is unlikely that anyone buried in the rubble would have survived the blast. The site could take several more days to clean up.

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS