Location: New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, or Sydney
Position Type: Full Time
About the Role:
The Huffington Post is looking for news editors to publish stories, follow news, and write headlines on our widely-read front page. HuffPost's homepage updates constantly and features a diverse range of stories from all of our verticals as well as other sites around the web. This is not a typical front-page editing job: HuffPost front page editors are expected to set the news agenda, become involved in story assignment, send alerts and post on social media.
The job involves:
* Finding stories that should lead the site, and contributing ideas for how to present them
* Identifying what's most interesting about each story and writing new headlines around that
* Selecting the most compelling photos to accompany stories on the front page
* Sending mobile push notifications, email alerts, and tweets for breaking news stories
* Identifying stories that need to be on the front page and coordinating with reporters and section editors to make sure someone is covering it
* Writing quick, clean first versions of breaking news stories
* Updating live blogs during breaking news situations
Candidates for the front page positions should:
* Have rock-solid news judgment. Know when a story matters, when it doesn't -- and why.
* Have a high-level BS detector, a healthy dose of skepticism and steadfast gut instincts. Know how to spot an imposter, a hoax or spin from a mile away.
* Be passionate news junkies, familiar with all of the web's top news sites and blogs, and with current national politics and business news
* Be obsessed with the social web and finding news through Twitter and Facebook
* Be comfortable in a fast-paced, creatively demanding work environment that requires meticulous attention to detail
* Have a keen sense for how to make news compelling using images, headlines, and other publishing elements
* Have extensive knowledge of social media sites and ideas about how to engage HuffPost's reader community in the news of the day
* Be knowledgeable about the content and headlines typically featured on HuffPost's front page
* 2+ years experience in online journalism, strong writing skills, eagerness to learn and take risks
Interested? Email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Front Page Editor" in the subject line.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please assume your application has been received unless your email bounces back.
Huffington Post Media Group is an AOL company. AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, commentary, entertainment, features and lifestyle content, as well as a platform for a highly engaged community of opinion and conversation. With nearly 130 million unique visitors each month (comScore), it is the largest news site in the US. The site has more than 85,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real time on the subjects about which they are most passionate. HuffPost is a global publication, with editions in the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Maghreb, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Greece and India and more on the way, including Australia.
How will Donald Trump’s first 100 days impact YOU? Subscribe, choose the community that you most identify with or want to learn more about and we’ll send you the news that matters most once a week throughout Trump’s first 100 days in office. Learn more