CRIME

Dad Who Abandoned Son At Deadly Wreck Sentenced To Prison

04/20/2015 12:36 pm ET | Updated Apr 20, 2015

A California father who left his 4-year-old son bleeding on the side of a highway after crashing his truck into a palm tree was sentence to four years in prison Friday.

Angelo Fabiani, 41, insisted that he was not in his right mind when he abandoned his son, Valentino, at the Interstate 5 crash scene on June 2, 2013. According to reports, Fabiani attempted to free the boy from the wreckage, causing him to fall 10 feet onto concrete.

The accident would later claim Valentino's life.

“I am very much sorry about my reaction to the accident," Fabiani told the court, according to NBC San Diego. "There are a lot of things I would probably do different in hindsight, but I’ve never had to rescue my own flesh and blood. I’ve never seen him with anything other than little playground scrapes on him."

Previously, Fabiani claimed that he left when he thought his son was already dead.

A jury convicted Fabiani of hit-and-run causing death but acquitted him of felony child endangerment, according to CBS 8. The defendant was on probation for a DUI conviction at the time of the accident.

In the end, it was Fabiani’s extensive history of drunken-driving convictions and probation violations that largely prompted the judge to sentence him to four years in prison.

“I believe your punishment is going to be everlasting,” the judge told him.

Fabiano did not call police for two days following the crash, according to MyFoxSanDiego. He was arrested as he made plans with a friend to flee to Mexico.

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS