101-Year-Old Man Rescued From Rubble With 'Minor Injuries' 1 Week After Nepal Earthquake

05/04/2015 02:45 am ET | Updated May 05, 2015

A week after a devastating earthquake rocked Nepal, killing more than 7,000 people, a 101-year-old man was reportedly pulled from the rubble of his home in a village located about 50 miles northwest of Kathmandu.

Nepal's National Emergency Operation Center said Phanchu Tamang was rescued on Saturday in Kimtang village in the Nuwakot district. Agence France-Presse reported that the centenarian suffered only “minor injuries to his ankle and hand,” despite being trapped since the quake hit on April 25.

"He was brought to the district hospital in a helicopter. His condition is stable," a police official told AFP.

According to The Guardian, police also rescued three women on Sunday from the rubble in Sindhupalchowk, one of Nepal’s worst-hit districts.

The rescues are much-needed good news for Nepal, which continues to reel from the devastation caused by the 7.8-magnitude earthquake -- the worst to hit the impoverished country in more than 80 years.

Finance Minister Ram Sharan Mahat said over the weekend that the death toll is expected to rise significantly once relief teams reach mountain villages.

"There are still villages where we know that all houses have been destroyed, but have not yet been able to reach," he said in a statement.

Prime Minister Sushil Koirala said last week that the death toll could reach 10,000.

The button below indicates how much has been raised on Crowdrise's "Nepal Earthquake Relief" page. Click to visit the site and donate.

Also on HuffPost:

Deadly Earthquake Rocks Nepal
Suggest a correction