Lauryn Hill has recorded covers of some of Nina Simone's greatest work in honor of the upcoming "What Happened, Miss Simone?" The film, directed by Liz Garbus, is a documentary on the life and music of the legendary singer. Now, Rolling Stone has premiered Hill's version of the classic 1965 track "Feeling Good."
The song is part of a full-length tribute album entitled "Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone," which was created to accompany the film. Hill and other artists, including Usher, Mary J. Blige, and Jazmine Sullivan contributed covers to the RCA project, scheduled for a July 10 release. Lisa Simone, the iconic musician's daughter, also recorded several tracks.
"What Happened, Miss Simone?" combines archival footage with interviews and recordings of Simone and her music. Hill performed several selections from Simone's songbook at the Apollo Theater earlier this month as part of a screening of the film.
"Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice," Hill said in a statement to Rolling Stone. "Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift."
"What Happened, Miss Simone?" premieres June 26 on Netflix.
The track list of "Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone":
1. Lisa Simone, "Nobody's Fault but Mine (Intro)"
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill, "Feeling Good"
3. Ms. Lauryn Hill, "I've Got Life" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
4. Ms. Lauryn Hill, "Ne Me Quitte Pas" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
5. Jazmine Sullivan, "Baltimore"
6. Grace, "Love Me or Leave Me"
7. Usher, "My Baby Just Cares For Me"
8. Mary J. Blige, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
9. Gregory Porter, "Sinnerman"
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway, "YG&B"
11. Alice Smith, "I Put A Spell On You"
12. Lisa Simone, "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl"
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill, "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair"
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill, "Wild Is The Wind"
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill, "African Mailman"
16. Nina Simone, "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free"