The extension of the Bush tax cuts for people making over $250,000 a year is madness in the face of a crumbling economy and an outsourced-to-death job market (remember factories and union jobs anyone?). I'm mad as hell to see my country become a dysfunctional 3rd world banana republic because of corrupt politicians like John Boehner and Mitch McConnell and beaten down corporate hybrid democrats like Obama, Summers and Geitner. So let's let's send them a gift of thanks from the people who will really benefit from these tax cuts: The Chinese Government.
Below are the addresses of Boehner, McConell and the White House. Send them Chinese food or soy sauce or any Chinese gift with a note:
"Thanks for borrowing more money from us to pay for your tax cuts for the rich. And thank you for always placing China first over your own American people. With love, China."
For me personally, I'm sending the food to McConnell and Boehner. As disappointing as Obama has turned out to be I think he still knows that $110 billion more added to the deficit in the next two years is a bad idea. I just think he's in a corrupt hell hole (aka: Washington DC) and doesn't have the fight in him to call it out. But hey, if you're a Republican or a really, really pissed off progressive or just a sane American who cares about the future of our country by all means send the President some oyster sauce and hot mustard.
Office of John Boehner
H-204 The Capitol
Washington, DC 20515
Senator Mitch McConnell
United States Senate
361A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-1702
President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500
The Chinese gifts:
Here's some good sites for Chinese gifts. I sent some sichuan noodle sauce because Boehner and McConnell bend like noodles however the corporations and banks want them to. But be creative and feel free to include your own note....
"Thanks for borrowing more money from us to pay for your tax cuts for the super rich. And thank you for always placing China first over your own people. With love, China."
"More tax breaks that you have to borrow money from us to pay for? Wow! You're the best! China loves you! Keep that debt coming and say hello to the Chamber of Commerce for us! Love and kisses, the Chinese Government"
A few preemptive responses to comments:
- This action is in no way negative against the Chinese people or people of Chinese decent. If our country is messed up enough to keep borrowing in the name of corporate greed and political hackery who can blame China for making the loans?
- To anyone arguing that these tax cuts for the rich will help grow the economy, I let out an exhausted sigh and ask you to look at the last ten years to check their efficacy. Also check out this report from Moody's on the return we get from certain kinds of tax breaks, stimulus and spending: http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/documents/assissing-the-impact-of-the-fiscal-stimulus.pdf
- To people arguing that this compromise was necessary for the unemployment extension, I remind you that the compromise is only necessary assuming complete political ineptness. What would have happened if Obama had veto'd the tax cut extension and then immediately proposed new middle class tax cuts and forced the Republicans to veto it? The point is: don't become the water boy for the big money right wing. Make them do their own dirty work. And more importantly, what is the point of a victory (extension of unemployment benefits) when you have lost the war (a debt so big that we as a nation will basically be insolvent)?
- To anyone pointing out that I make enough to benefit from these tax breaks; guess what? I don't want the money if it means my country falls apart. So to all the interns at the Heritage Foundation and the Free Enterprise Institute who troll on the Internet: Wake up. The short term gain of bubble economics or a pay check from the Koch Brothers will mean nothing when our country defaults and spirals into riots.
- Do this. For real. We need to be heard.