Two people were killed, including a police officer, and two others injured in an apparent domestic dispute near a Louisiana convenience store on Wednesday night.
Sunset Police Officer Henry Nelson and Shameka Johnson, the sister of a local mayor, died in the attack carried out by suspect Harrison Lee Riley Jr., Sheriff Bobby Guidroz said. Shameka was one of three people stabbed, while the 52-year-old officer was shot as he responded to the incident.
Surlay Johnson and Courtney Jolivette, the suspect's wife, were both stabbed in the attack at a home, and were taken to local hospitals. Shameka and Surlay Johnson are the sisters of Grand Coteau Mayor Shaterral Johnson.
Officials characterized the motive as a possible domestic dispute.
Riley is believed to have stabbed the three people, including the woman who died. Officer Nelson died of bullet wounds he received while responding to the attack at the house, which is about 70 miles west of Baton Rouge. The suspect fled by car to a convenience store. He drove through the front door and barricaded himself inside.
Police used tear gas and negotiators to force Riley out. "He was not coming out. He was ready to fight," Guidroz said. The suspect was eventually taken into custody, and evaluated at a local hospital. Police said he had an extensive criminal history.
Guidroz said there weren't any hostages taken as earlier reports suggested, and that three people inside were able to escape.
Megaphone: "Come out with your hands up to the sound of our voice so I can talk to you. Come out of that room."— Lanie Lee Cook (@lanieleecook) August 26, 2015
A witness took a photo of the aftermath and posted it to Instagram, saying the incident was like "a movie." The photo shows a car smashed through the side of the store and a body on the ground. It's unclear who the person in the photo is, and his or her condition is unknown.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal issued the following statement on the attack: "Supriya and I are heartbroken to learn of another deadly assault on one of our public servants. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of Sunset Police Officer Henry Nelson and the other victims as they endure this senseless tragedy."
Two unlicensed doctors are facing charges for performing botched surgeries on a man's penis, leaving it mutilated.
A Miami judge has charged Nery Carvajal-Gonzalez, 48, for unlicensed health care causing serious injury, CBS Miami reports. She was picked up this week after landing at Miami International Airport, and...
Family members of a dead teenager in Honduras were recorded rushing to smash open the girl's tomb after they claimed to hear her screaming and clawing at her coffin.
Neysi Perez, 16, was pregnant and newly married when she suddenly collapsed at her Honduran home and began foaming at the mouth, the New York Daily News reports. Her mother thought she was possessed by demons, so she called for an exorcism -- but it didn't work.
Doctors declared Perez dead, and she was buried in her wedding dress. But her family says everything changed when they heard muffled cries from inside her tomb a day later.
"As I put my hand on her grave I could hear noises inside. I heard banging, then I heard her voice. She was screaming for help," Perez's husband, Rudy Gonzales, told Primer Impacto, a local news station.
In a video released last week by Primer, the family can be seen using a sledgehammer to break apart Perez's concrete enclosure. When they exhumed her, she was reportedly motionless and cold to the touch, but they brought her to a doctor in the renewed hopes that she might still be alive.
"Everybody was claiming she was alive so I went through all the necessary procedures," Dr. Claudia Lopez told Primer.
But it was no use. Doctors said Perez wasn't coming back.
Perez's loved ones swear they weren't hearing things. They say a glass viewing window on the coffin was broken when they pulled Perez out, and her fingertips were bruised, indicating that she might have been trying to escape, the Daily Mirror reports.
Perez's mother says she's convinced her daughter was buried alive and that the doctors were too quick to declare her dead in the first place.
"After being declared dead for such a long time, everybody was saying that she had come back to life," she said. "We were all so happy. I thought I was going to get my daughter back."
CINCINNATI (AP) -- A man arrested in Ohio on suspicion of stabbing his brother and raping a woman is wanted in Massachusetts on charges including attempted murder, rape, assault, and kidnapping, authorities said Monday.
Keven Blakemore, 21, was arrested Sunday in southern Ohio's Pike County,...
A man who famously spent almost $100,000 in plastic surgeries to look like Justin Bieber has been reported missing.
Tobias Strebel, 35, disappeared on Aug. 18, according to ABC 7. He was last seen in West Hollywood, and could be driving a 2009 Toyota Camry, police...
IT'S THE BIG STORY OF THE SUMMER: Looks like Mei Xiang, the panda at Washington's National Zoo, has given birth -- to double panda cubs!
NEWS TEAM! ASSSEMBLLLLLLLLE!
Today's story is one of the most remarkable things ever to happen to Washington, D.C....
It's not 69 hot dogs, but it's a start.
YouTube competitive eater Adam Moran wolfed down 17 McDonald's Big Macs in an hour last month, a gut-busting challenge that he recently said left him doubling over in pain.
In a fast-forwarded video, Moran -- also known as Beard Meats Food -- seems to hit a wall after about 10 Big Macs, 20 minutes in. He doesn't quite reach his goal of 25, but he still pays the ultimate gustatory price.
"As soon as I'm done, I regret it," he wrote on his blog Sunday. "That night, I couldn't sleep, I had the most intense stomach ache of my admittedly short career, and I ask myself hundreds of times why, oh why, did I do something this ludicrous?"
Multiple news outlets are reporting that the feat has set a world record, though they're attributing it to an unofficial site. Guinness World Records doesn't have a title for Big Macs per hour, though it lists the Most Big Macs Consumed at 26,000. In that arena, the bearded belly has a long way to go.
He's also outmatched in speed-Mac-ing. Matt "Megatoad" Stony -- who, for the first time, devoured legend Joey Chestnut at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest this year -- once ate five Big Macs in under a minute. That record is hailed by Major League Eating.
So what can Moran take away from all this?
A pretty great YouTube clip, a tummy ache and some Pepto-Bismol, at...
A gunman slipped through a side door of a Manhattan federal building late Friday, fatally shot a security guard, then killed himself, police said.
The gunman was identified as Kevin Downing, a man in his late 60s from Fort Lee, N.J. He died at the scene, at Houston and Varick streets,...
Business mogul Donald Trump implied that two brothers who allegedly attacked a Hispanic man were "passionate" after he heard of the crime.
Police say Scott and Steve Leader, both from South Boston, woke a 58-year-old homeless man on Wednesday by urinating on his face, The Boston...
A 9-year-old girl in Ferguson, Missouri, was killed as she lay in bed Tuesday night when someone fired several rounds into her home.
Police say Jamyla Bolden was still alive when officers responded at about 9:30 p.m. to the...
Baltimore recorded its 211th homicide Wednesday, matching the total for all of last year.
In the latest wave of death, a man was fatally shot in the Penn North neighborhood after 10 a.m., the Baltimore Sun reports. That followed two killings on Tuesday night. The homicide...
Donald Trump wants to build a wall.
"A big, beautiful, powerful wall," he said during an appearance on "The O'Reilly Factor" Tuesday night.
He and Bill O'Reilly spent over seven minutes trying to...
Jared Fogle has been fired from Subway amid expectations that he'll plead guilty to child pornography charges this week.
The pitchman is expected to take a plea deal on possession charges, CBS Indy reports. The report comes six weeks after authorities seized electronics and other items from Fogle's home in Zionsville, an affluent Indianapolis suburb.
Citing sources it did not identify, the station said Fogle would enter a plea Wednesday. It also said the U.S. Attorney's Office in Indianapolis planned to hold a news conference Wednesday.
Federal prosecutors released a document Wednesday that alleged Fogle scheduled business trips to accommodate his illicit sexual pursuits, which included buying sex with teens. The documents also said Fogel came into possession of child pornography that had been made by the ex-director of his charitable organization.
The 37-year-old faces one count of traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor and one count of distribution and receipt of child pornography, the document said.
Meanwhile, Subway reported on Twitter that it had completely cut ties with Fogle.
We no longer have a relationship with Jared and have no further comment.— SUBWAY® (@SUBWAY) August 18, 2015
Subway declined to comment any further to The Huffington Post.
Two months before Fogle's home was raided, authorities arrested the then-executive director of Fogle's foundation on child-porn charges. Russell Taylor, 43, ran the Jared Foundation, which sought to raise awareness about childhood obesity. He was charged with seven counts of production of child pornography and one count of possession of child pornography.
Investigators said they discovered a cache of sexually explicit photos and videos Taylor allegedly produced by secretly filming minor children at his home.
After those charges were filed, Fogle issued a statement saying he was shocked by the allegations and was severing all ties with Taylor.
Though Fogle has not been front-and-center in Subway's advertising recently, he had still been acting as a Subway spokesman and appearing at events on the company's behalf.
This story has been updated with details about the charges faced by...
The 17-year-old daughter of a wealthy German businessman has been found dead, police said Tuesday. Her abductors had demanded the equivalent of $1.3 million in ransom money.
The victim, identified by police only as Anneli-Marie R., went missing Thursday.
We're hatin' it.
You know you've made it as a prankster when your fake McDonald's sign draws the adoration of fellow travelers and the ire of the park service in a remote part of Australia.
An "artist" caused a commotion in June by erecting a McDonald's "OPENING SOON" sign, 124...