Since it's almost Super Bowl Sunday, what good would this blog be without a recipe for guacamole? And not to brag, but the Accidental Locavore
makes the best guacamole! Here's the key: lots of cilantro. Even if you're not a big cilantro fan, just close your eyes and go for it, you'll be glad you did. The other tip is to save 2-3 of the avocado pits, clean them and put them in the middle of the guacamole to keep it from discoloring.
- 4-5 really ripe Haas avocados* peeled and cut into 1/2 dice
- 1 small white onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium tomato, diced (try to find a ripe one)
- 1-2 serrano chiles, or jalapenos, depending on your heat threshold, seeded and chopped very fine
- Most of a bunch of cilantro chopped fine
- Lime juice to taste
- Salt to taste
Mix the avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, chiles, lime, and salt, slightly mashing the avocado as you mix. Taste and add additional chiles, lime and cilantro according to your taste. Put the avocado pits in the center of your bowl (see photo). Serve and enjoy.
*The big green Florida ones just have no flavor. If you can't find good ripe avocados, go buy them now and leave them on the counter to ripen. If they're rock hard or you're reading this on Saturday, put them in a brown paper bag with a banana, it will speed the process.