Most fans of "Keeping up with the Kardashians," if they were paying attention, saw the multitude of red flags that Kim missed. Here are the ones I noticed, which ones did you see?
Just seventy-two days after their storybook wedding, Kim Kardashian filed for divorce stating, "After careful consideration, I have decided to end my marriage . . . I had hoped this marriage was forever but sometimes things don't work out as planned." Later stating, "It just didn't turn out to be the fairy tale I had so badly hoped for."
Unfortunately, when a man or woman is in the lust or romantic stage of a relationship the old adage that "love is blind" really does apply. Kim was incapable of "seeing" the full truth about her partner, Kris Humphries. She only saw the fairytale, not the reality.
Now, from an anthropological and evolutionary standpoint, this is a very needed and important aspect in procreating the human race. It is nature's way of blinding the man and woman long enough to secure a pregnancy. However, from a logical and realistic place, it is important to rise above the hormone-induced brain and see your potential mates' strengths and weakness, relationship skills, life goals, and be able to assess compatibility. This is easy to say but often hard to do.
During Kim and Kris Humphries courtship, five type of blaring red flags were caught on camera:
- The first was Humphries emotional immaturity. Fans of the show saw first hand how this played out when he faced any type of conflict with either Kim or her family. When a situation would arise in which Humphries did not agree or felt he was being mistreated, he would shut down a conversation, pout, withdraw, and complain instead of dealing with the issue directly.
- The second red flag was Humphries inability to effectively communicate. He often would cover his mouth, turn his head, and mumble a sarcastic comment to himself or run off to tell the other guys on the show how they were being emasculated by the Kardashian women.
- The third red flag was their lack of compatibility as the couple. This played out more vividly while they planned their glamorous wedding. Although a couple having disagreements during the planning stages of a wedding is normal, this couples' differences were glaringly obvious.
- The fourth red flag occurred when some of Kim's family members saw things they did not like about Humphries and questioned his true motives. When family members do this, there usually is a good reason -- so pay attention. Relying on those around you, such as family and friends who have your best interests at heart, can be used a good way to measure compatibility.
- The final red flag and probably the one that ended their marriage was Humphries lack of respect for Kim. Whether they were driving in a car talking about money, their future home or vacationing, Humphries was more concerned with his way than respecting Kim's ideas, thoughts, and feelings. The rumors that have surfaced since they were married about Humphries partying and dancing with other women while Kim is working is a perfect example of his disrespect for both her and the sanctity of their union.
The importance of paying attention to the red flags before marriage is crucial and can save everyone a lot of time, money and most importantly, heartache.
Did you catch even more red flags? Post the ones you noticed in a comment below.
Follow Bree Maresca-Kramer on Twitter: www.twitter.com/itsthatsimplews