Ozzy Osbourne may be a pioneer in heavy metal music, but he hasn't been able to bring that talent into the kitchen. His wife Sharon tweeted that the fire department had to take care of a kitchen fire that started when the Black Sabbath frontman was attempting to fry bacon.
Noiscreep notes that this is the second time this year Osbourne has had to call the fire department to his Beverly Hills home.
Though it's easy to joke about Osbourne's bacon incident, the fact is that home fires are serious issues. The Centers For Disease Control And Prevention notes that home fires are, unfortunately, the third leading cause of fatal home injury. With that in mind, here are five kitchen fire safety tips that are worth a refresher.
You should never leave your stove (or grill for that matter) unattended. By paying attention, not only will you not notice if you have a pending emergency, but you'll also not overcook your meal.
If you are frying something greasy, be mindful of the amount of grease and fat is accumulating in the pan. If it starts bubbling, remove it from the heat immediately as the oils released are flammable.
Always keep your pan's lid and an oven mitt handy. Many small pan fires can be contained by just covering the pan and removing it from heat.
It's not just what you are cooking that you should be concerned with. Make sure your stovetop is free from miscellaneous items that could accidentally catch on fire, like towels, potholders and cooking utensils.
Periodically check to make sure that the batteries in your smoke alarm are working. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection estimates that properly working smoke alarms increase the likeliness of surviving a home fire by 50%.
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more