Comments are closed for this entry
View All
Favorites
Recency  | 
Popularity
Page:  « First  ‹ Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next ›  Last »  (22 total)
photo
HUFFPOST COMMUNITY MODERATOR
dawlishgal
11:13 PM on 01/04/2011
It seems as though as soon as they drag in the PR firms and the lawyers, all decency is out the window and these organizations forget their original goals. Just like politics.
photo
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Frank Smith
11:03 PM on 01/04/2011
"it's still our obligation to make sure that our trademarks are used appropriately so there's no confusion in the marketplace over where people's money is going." - Komen's general counsel, Jonathan Blum

Yeah, to sue-happy lawyers.
10:11 PM on 01/04/2011
I am disappointed in the Komen organization for going after the smaller fundraisers.I think there is enough room for all of them. They are all trying to do good and help people in need.
I keep seeing this high-school/kindergarten petty behavior.Grow up and stop being such bullies.
09:44 PM on 01/04/2011
First of all it is Susan G. Komen not B or J....get the name right. Second our official name is Susan G. Komen for the CureĀ®. We have been in existence for over 30 years and all this spewing about "for a cure" or "for the cure" is lame, lame, lame. Yes we do work to protect our name and trademarks, but you are all not looking at the big picture here. We are second to the US government in funding research grants to find the cure. Many of the medications that are treating breast cancer successfully were the result of funding from a Komen Grant. Your donation dollars do NOT go to sue other non-profits. The article is inaccurate...does not have the facts correct.... another way for the media to make a story. In all affiliate service areas 75% of the funds raised stay in that service for grants to educate, screen or give treatment. The remaining 25% goes for more research. If you don't want to donate don't, but if you donate to some non-profit then make darn sure you know where that money is going. ACS raises lots of money and yet everyone confuses them with Komen. Do you know where the ACS money goes? It certainly does NOT stay where it is raised. Ask...you won't get an answer. Do a little more research before you slam Komen...volunteer and find out more about us. I'm a two time breast cancer survivor
This user has chosen to opt out of the Badges program
photo
Deathly Pallor
Shame on us. Doomed from the start...
10:09 PM on 01/04/2011
*coughcoughshillcough*
photo
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Frank Smith
11:09 PM on 01/04/2011
You bet . . . joined this month, one comment.

"75% of the funds raised stay in that service for grants to educate, screen or give treatment. The remaining 25% goes for more research."

That's 100% . . . are the lawyers working pro bono?
10:27 PM on 01/04/2011
Maybe you guys should sue the Huffington post as well.
09:40 PM on 01/04/2011
They also need to be challenged on grounds that already has a legal precedent, like free speech sarcasm-criticism. I vote for an anti-S. Komen group to use the banner "Bitch for the Cure."
This user has chosen to opt out of the Badges program
photo
jamuelle
My micro-bio is not empty
09:36 PM on 01/04/2011
So how does that work for "The Cure" the band. They have had that name since before Susan G had cancer. Is Komen going to go after them next?
photo
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Marturia
Are we there yet?
09:39 PM on 01/04/2011
Maybe "The Cure" should go after Komen.
This user has chosen to opt out of the Badges program
photo
jamuelle
My micro-bio is not empty
10:31 PM on 01/04/2011
I know! Not their style I suspect. Still, from the sounds of it, Komen could beat them at their own name.
09:29 PM on 01/04/2011
And I own the rights to "my moneys better donated somewhere else." but I'll let anyone use it if it helps their cause. Get off you high horse SGK and think about what really matters.. A Cure. Sorry for using that..NOT!
09:18 PM on 01/04/2011
This is outrageous! They can actaully get away with claiming the word "cure" and the color pink? That is bizarr-o and sick! I am OUT, they won't ever get a dime from me again!
photo
Leigh49
Hey, you, get off of my cloud
08:56 PM on 01/04/2011
The whole Komen thing is a sham anyway.
This user has chosen to opt out of the Badges program
photo
08:37 PM on 01/04/2011
When I give money to a charity I do so with the expectation that the money is used wisely. Now it is clear these Susan B, Komen will never get as cent from me again.
08:21 PM on 01/04/2011
There is no shame in protecting a valuable trademark when there is a likelihood of consumer confusion as to the source of the product. But, as I see it, there are two issues of concern here. First, "for the cure" is so generic that I cannot believe it merits trademark protection. It's not like the trademark AMAZON, for example. Second, is there really such a thing as "donor confusion"? Really? How many donors to Kites for a Cure are likely to claim that they believed that they were donating to the Komen foundation or, more to the point, that the only $25 they had in reserve for charitable contributions mistakenly went to Kites instead of Komen? Sounds like a colossal waste of donor money to me to have a legal team devoting resources to this.
08:18 PM on 01/04/2011
I'm not giving any money to any foundation that uses donations to "protect its more than 200 registered trademarks." There are plenty of worthwhile charities out there.
This user has chosen to opt out of the Badges program
photo
Deathly Pallor
Shame on us. Doomed from the start...
10:10 PM on 01/04/2011
A-freakin'-men.
photo
puddintane
You are the weakest link!
08:15 PM on 01/04/2011
My direct post to their web site:
"My father did some research on aflatoxins (carcinogenic molds). He died of cancer in 1989 of lymphoma. His mother had breast cancer late in life. My wife and I have done what we can to donate to your charity, but I am disturbed to hear funds are being used to sue other cancer organizatios for using the phrase "for the cure".
I sincerely pray this is not true, but if it is, stop it now, publicly announce you will never do anything like this again, and apologize to these other organizations.
Cancer is so awful, anything done to help find a cure is too important for your organization's ego(s) to get in the way over a simple phrase. Charities should not behave like bullies or megacorporations. You should share anything that contributes to the common good. CC: Huffington Post"
photo
puddintane
You are the weakest link!
08:49 PM on 01/04/2011
Pardon me for following myself, but add: ...and FIRE the lawyers NOW!!! Anyone know what sleazebags/firm is responsible?
The leaders of K*men should be audited, and if appropriate, get a Madoff perp-walk.
photo
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
hulagirrrl
07:55 PM on 01/04/2011
I just am so turned off by them that I will NEVER EVER support them. If we all had health insurance we would be better of. There is the American Cancer Society if one wants to donate towards research.
What and where does their money go? I don't know. If a million a year goes to legal fees, I wonder if they have their own little buddy employment system, and these lawyers maybe friends and family. Who knows. If we all stop giving then they will eventually go away, and word cure can be used again. I find it ridiculous that a word can be protected like that anyway.
photo
Leigh49
Hey, you, get off of my cloud
08:59 PM on 01/04/2011
he ACS is just as corrupt and money hungry.
photo
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
hulagirrrl
12:52 AM on 01/05/2011
I have never read anything about that, but will check it out. Sad that they all get big and then just greedy and forget their purpose.