By Sierra Filucci, Common Sense Media editor
Halloween is one of our favorite times of year because families can have so much fun together with -- and without -- media. From spooky movies, music and games to fun crafts, snacks and parties, October is a month packed with family pleasures.
The Internet is full of things to learn and do online, too, so we culled the web for inspiration to get kids and families learning, doing, and having fun.
Pretty Cool Pumpkins
- Motion-Controlled Silly-String-Shooting Pumpkin
Looking for a fun Halloween project? This is it.
- Pop Culture Pumpkin Carvings
Nerdtastic designs that will thrill fanboys and fangirls.
- Cylon Pumpkin
Battlestar Gallactica fans rejoice.
- How to Cook a Pumpkin When the holiday's over, don't toss it -- cook it!
- Dirty Laundry Group Costume
Keep it clean this Halloween.
- Great Noncommercial Costumes
Skip the mass marketed ideas and shop your closet.
- Easy Headband Costumes
Want a costume from the neck up?
- Incredible Pinterest Costume Page If you can't find an idea here, maybe you should just give up.
- Halloween Lunchbox Ideas
Keep the spirit going throughout the school day.
- Healthy Halloween Snacks and Meals
Counteract all the sugar with these holiday treats.
- Candy-coated caramel apples This classic fall treat incorporates candy into the mix.
Spooky Crafts and Activities
- Icky Science Experiments
From slime to potions, kids will delight in these weird educational projects.
- Hot Glue Gun Necklaces
As part of a costume or just for Halloween fun, these are easy to make.
- Halloween Word Search
A fun, printable project to keep the holiday spirit alive.
- 13 Sewing Patterns
Some are creepy, some are cute, but they're all fun.
- Halloween Charades
Gather 'round and join in the acting game everyone loves.
- Scary Witch Rhythm Song and Game
Preschoolers will love this fun Halloween song activity.
- Candy Toss Game
Even if they can't eat it all, they can play with it.
- Pumpkin Pie Play Dough
Fun to make and fun to play with, too.
- 29 Candy Activities for Fun and Learning
Think candy's bad for the brain -- wrong!
- Find Haunted Houses
Teens and adults might enjoy seeking out a scary spot nearby.
- Halloween-themed Crafts and Snacks
A great collection of spirited activities and eats.
- Boo-tastic Party Tablecloth Make it and then show it off to all your costumed party guests.
Scary (and Not-so-Scary) Media
- Halloween Apps
Stock your device with seasonal games for the kiddos.
- Classic Horror Movie Posters
Get decor or costume inspiration from these great images.
- Halloween Books for Young Kids
Wee ones will love these adorable and not-too-scary tales.
- The Best Spooky Music Videos, Ever
From "Thriller" to "Monster Mash," kids will adore these creepy songs and videos.
- Scary Movies From slightly spooky to totally terrifying, these movies are Halloween-ready.
More Halloween Fun
- Party Planning
Throw the best kids' Halloween party on the block.
- History of Halloween
Teach curious kids why we do all this silly, spooky stuff each October.
- Tips for Taking Good Halloween Photos Want some great pics for your Facebook page?
Where do you find inspiration for Halloween? What are some of your favorite Halloween traditions? Follow me on Twitter!
About Common Sense Media
Common Sense Media is dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology. We exist because our kids are growing up in a culture that profoundly impacts their physical, social, and emotional well-being. We provide families with the advice and media reviews they need in order to make the best choices for their children. Through our education programs and policy efforts, Common Sense Media empowers parents, educators, and young people to become knowledgeable and responsible digital citizens. For more information, go to:www.commonsense.org.