Hey, Candi Harrison was a Federal web manager, and says some of the smartest stuff around regarding serious web site support, applicable to private industry as well as government.
When citizens want to find government information and services online, they should be able to:
- Easily find relevant, accurate, and up-to-date information;
- Understand information the first time they read it;
- Complete common tasks efficiently;
- Get the same answer whether they use the web, phone, email, live chat, read a brochure, or visit in-person;
- Provide feedback and ideas and hear what the government will do with them;
- Access critical information if they have a disability or aren't proficient in English.
Those 6 standards show a real commitment to, and respect for, the citizen's point of view.