Curtis takes your taste buds south of the border with his irresistibly creamy chicken quesadilla.
Chipotle Chicken Quesadilla with Avocado
Provided by: Curtis Stone
Everybody loves quesadillas -- they're a sure-fire crowd pleaser. And these are particularly delicious (and worth a little extra effort) the chipotle gives them a subtle smokiness, and the touch of honey enhances all the flavors.
- CHIPOTLE CHICKEN FILLING
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds total), diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups coarsely shredded roasted chicken breast
- 4 10-inch-diameter flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded white cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 4 lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chipotle chiles then the tomatoes. Cook until most of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated and the mixture begins to thicken, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions and honey. Stir in the chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Heat a large flat griddle pan over medium-low heat. Lay 2 tortillas on the griddle and cook until hot but not crisp, about 2 minutes. Turn the tortillas over. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the bottom halves of the tortillas. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture in an even layer atop the cheese over each tortilla. Top each with 1/4 cup of cheese then with half of the avocado slices.
- Fold the tortillas over to cover the fillings and form a half-moon shape. Cook until the tortillas are crisp and golden and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat to make 2 more quesadillas.
- Open the quesadillas and scatter the cilantro over the filling. Drizzle the crema over the filling then close the quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy immediately.