New Security Action released this video over the holidays as part of a concerted effort to call for the closing of the prison at Guantanamo Bay.
Here are some facts about the prison at Guantanamo Bay:
- Nearly 800 detainees have been held in Guantanamo, the vast majority without charge or trial
- Only 3 detainees at Guantanamo have been convicted of any crime through the military commissions system
- The Federal court system has convicted 195 terrorists since 2001.
- Estimated annual cost of operating Guantanamo: 90 million to118 million
- Thirty-two times since 2001 and four times this year alone, senior al Qaeda leadership has used the prison at Guantanamo Bay in videos, encouraging others to join effort.
This post originally appeared on New Security Action. New Security Action is a new organization dedicated to fighting for a progressive, smart national security policy. We are fighting to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay.
Follow Danielle Celena Belton on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nsaction