I wasn't going to do it. I swear it. I wasn't going to write anything more about Fox and the crazy hateful crap they toss into the airwaves every single day. I mean, after all, Fox is still there doing what they do, so clearly I wasn't helping. Why keep banging my head against the wall?
But I was flipping through the channels and came across the new Joe McCarthy talking to that smirking harridan Coulter about the death of Dr. George Tiller and I couldn't turn away.
So I decided to approach this article with restraint and limit myself to just twenty simple "yes" or "no" questions.
1. Do I think Bill O'Reilly is a pompous blowhard? Yes.
2. Did I ever hear Bill O'Reilly rant about Dr. George Tiller and call him "Tiller the baby killer?" Yes.
3. Had Dr. Tiller broken any laws? No.
4. Did Bill O'Reilly think Tiller's actions should have been against the law? Yes.
5. Does that matter? No.
6. Did someone shoot Dr. Tiller in cold blood? Yes.
7. Did I ever hear Bill O'Reilly tell anyone to shoot Dr. Tiller? No.
8. Do I think Bill O'Reilly's rhetoric encourages people to do violence? Yes.
9. Have I heard Bill O'Reilly shout down people who imply that his words about Tiller might have fomented violence? Yes.
10. Did I hear Bill O'Reilly say he was sorry Tiller was killed? Yes.
11. Do I think Bill O'Reilly's truly sorry? No.
12. Do I think Bill O'Reilly brought Anne Coulter on his show so that he could appear to be the more reasonable of the two? Yes.
13. Did Ann Coulter say the following things on O'Reilly's show?
- "I don't consider Tiller's murder a crime."
- "People haven't been talking about it (Tiller's death) because I'd like to think they're hung over from the 'Hooray, George Tiller's Dead' party."
- "I'm personally opposed to shooting abortionists, but I don't want to impose my moral values on others. If you're opposed to shooting abortionists, then don't shoot abortionists."
Yes. (And the implication of that last statement was that if you weren't opposed to shooting abortionists, it would be okay with Ann if you went ahead and did so.)
14. Does whether I agree with the Fox manifesto of "all right, all the time" matter? No.
15. Is Fox entitled to their bias just as I'm entitled to mine? Yes.
16. Does what any of us think of Dr. Tiller and his practices give anyone the right to murder the man? No.
17. Should Fox allow Tiller's murder...anyone's murder...to be joked about? No.
18. Was his murder somehow less of a crime because Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter are against his medical practices? No.
19. Do I think Fox could raise the journalistic level of their network simply by never giving a hateful smartass like Ann Coulter any more air time? Yes.
20. And if Bill O'Reilly ever quoted this article, do I think he'd only mention #7 and #10? Yes.