Google has unrivaled power to make waves on the Internet. From Gmail to Google search, YouTube to Blogger, Google products reach eyes all over the globe.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Google used its global influence to help us normalize breastfeeding? Of course the real normalization of nursing happens every time a mother breastfeeds a child. But nursing is also normalized each time we see it on TV, in books, on Facebook, and yes, on Google and the Internet as a whole. Sadly, nursing pairs still face discrimination and criticism. Each little step we make to celebrate and normalize breastfeeding can help.
I started brainstorming several ideas of what that Doodle might look like -- we could turn Google's oo's into breasts, and a simple outline of mama/baby would go above and below the word. We could turn the little "g" into the blue and white international breastfeeding symbol. We could transform the bottom of the "g" into a baby's head and have a mama nursing incorporated into the background.
Along with the Doodle ideas, I was inspired to come up with a list of several more ways Google could help us normalize breastfeeding. The beautiful artwork in this post is courtesy of my very talented friend, Joni Rae of Tales of a Kitchen Witch, who made the Doodle and the Pegwoman below. Thanks also go to my husband, Tom Ford, who created the fake Google street view, Calendar, and Gmail images.
You can help us get Google's attention by sending them an email -- there is an example email at the bottom of this post.
So, Google, what do you say? Will you help?
9 Ways Google Can Help Us Normalize Breastfeeding
How You Can Help!
Would you love to see Google help us normalize breastfeeding? To get these ideas on Google's radar, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a sample email adapted from one at Hygeia:
We, the breastfeeding support and promotion community, would be delighted to have Google help us normalize breastfeeding throughout the world. World Breastfeeding Week takes place from August 1-7, 2012, and Dionna at Code Name: Mama has brainstormed several ways Google can join the celebration:
(INCLUDE A FEW OF THE IDEAS BELOW, AND/OR ADD YOUR OWN IDEAS!)
- Feature a Google Doodle Honoring Breastfeeding - Be sure to check out the suggested Doodle created by Joni Rae from Tales of a Kitchen Witch!
- Include the Searcher's State Law on Breastfeeding on Every Search Result
- Offer Free Advertising Space to Breastfeeding Organizations
- List One of the Many Reasons to Breastfeed in Gmail's Sponsored Links
- Add World Breastfeeding Week to the Holidays on Google Calendar
- Put a Breastfeeding Pair in Street Views
- Reject Advertising from Companies That Aren't Who Code Compliant
- Turn the Google Map Pegman into a Breastfeeding Pegwoman
- Feature a Breastfeeding Video on the Front Page of YouTube
World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year in over 176 countries around the world, and this year marks the 20th anniversary. We would love to have Google be a vital part of this milestone.
Thank you for considering this proposal.